Help → Problems receiving Mails via SMTP (1.1.0 RC5)

Problems receiving Mails via SMTP (1.1.0 RC5)

Hi,

after updating my popfile installation to 1.1.0 RC5, mails received via SMTP are still classified but are no longer visible in the Message History of the Popfile admin website.

Using the X-POPFile-Link inserted in the SMTP mail, I still can open the message directly, but most of the header information shown on top of the message view (From, To, Subject, Bucket) ist empty. The date information contains "Date: 01/01/70 01:00".

Moreover, the log contains the following warning messages:

2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in hash element at d:\popfile/Classifier/Bayes.pm line 3434.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in hash element at d:\popfile/Classifier/Bayes.pm line 3440.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in numeric lt (<) at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 1081.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 1081.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in string ne at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 2622.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in string eq at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 2623.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in string eq at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 2637.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in string ne at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 2656.[0a]
2008/10/31 23:31:23 26236: Perl warning: Use of uninitialized value in string ne at d:\popfile/UI/HTML.pm line 2748.[0a]

How can I fix this problem?

Dirk

• Message #566

Hi Dirk

after updating my popfile installation to 1.1.0 RC5, mails received via SMTP are still classified but are no longer visible in the Message History of the Popfile admin website.

Are you using the SMTP proxy module?

Moreover, the log contains the following warning messages:

Can you get the log file with logger_level 2?
    For more information about the logger_level, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/troubleshooting:preparelog

Naoki

• Message #570

Hi Naoki,

yes, I am using the SMTP proxy module.

Regarding the warning messages, the log file was already created logger_level 2.
      Please find the log protocol in your mailbox "amatubu_at_mac com"

Dirk

• Message #571

Hi Dirk

yes, I am using the SMTP proxy module.

Regarding the warning messages, the log file was already created logger_level 2.
        Please find the log protocol in your mailbox "amatubu_at_mac com"

Thanks. I've received the log file.

Here's a snippet of your log:

2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: mq: 377: post COMIT (18i3uRqz2i65s81einh:29051:non-spam:0)
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: mq: 392: sending post COMIT (18i3uRqz2i65s81einh:29051:non-spam:0) to parent GLOB(0x3a7414c)
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: smtp: 657: Read slurp data 250 Message accepted for delivery[0d][0a]
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: smtp: 305: 250 Message accepted for delivery[0d][0a]
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: mq: 377: post CMPLT (-25300)
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: mq: 392: sending post CMPLT (-25300) to parent GLOB(0x3a7414c)
        2008/10/31 23:28:42 -25300: smtp: 286: SMTP proxy done
        2008/10/31 23:29:01 26236: -----------------------
        2008/10/31 23:29:01 26236: POPFile v1.1.0 starting

This is a strange log.
        The child process (pid=-25300) sent the COMIT message but the parent process
        (pid=13300) didn't receive it.

Did POPFile stop (or crash) after you received the message?
        And did you restart POPFile manually?

Could you take a console log with the Message Capture utility?

http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:messagecapture

Naoki

• Message #572

Hi Naoki,

I restarted the application after POPFile stopped responding.

Regarding the console output, please find the desired information attached.

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.10

POPFILE_ROOT = d:\popfile
          POPFILE_USER = D:\popfile\ADMINI~2
          Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile

(report started 05-Nov-2008 @ 00:07:21)

POPFile Engine loading

{core: windows}
          {core: config history logger mq}
          {classifier: bayes wordmangle}
          {interface: html xmlrpc}
          {proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
          {services: imap}

POPFile Engine v1.1.0 starting

Initializing...

{core: config history logger mq windows}
          {interface: html xmlrpc}
          {proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
          {services: imap

A copy of POPFile appears to be running.

Attempting to signal the previous copy.
          Waiting 10 seconds for a reply.

The other POPFile (27280) failed to signal back, starting new copy (15524)
          }

Starting...

{interface: html}
          {proxy: pop3 smtp}
          {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.1.0 running

POPFile Engine v1.1.0 stopping

Stopping...

{interface: html}
          {proxy: pop3 smtp}
          {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.1.0 terminated

Status code: 0

(report finished 05-Nov-2008 @ 00:20:36)

Moreover, using the message capture utility, I discoverered that the SMTP mails are now visible on the message view while running the standard POPFile application, these messages are not included in the SMTP view.

Dirk

• Message #573

Hi Dirk

I restarted the application after POPFile stopped responding.

OK. I think we have to find out why POPFile stopped responding.

Regarding the console output, please find the desired information attached.

Thanks.
            Did you receive messages while the Message Capture utility was running?
            Did you stop POPFile manually?

Moreover, using the message capture utility, I discoverered that the SMTP mails are now visible on the message view while running the standard POPFile application, these messages are not included in the SMTP view.

What does "the SMTP view" mean?

You mean the number of messages in the message view increases when you run the Message Capture utility?
            If so, when you rerun POPFile the number decreases?

Naoki

• Message #574

Hi Naoki

Did you receive messages while the Message Capture utility was running?
              Did you stop POPFile manually?

Yes, I received messages while the Message Capture utility was running (via SMTP). After receiving some test messages via SMTP, I stopped the utility manually.

What does "the SMTP view" mean?

Sorry for the confusion. "SMTP view" should be "History view".

You mean the number of messages in the message view increases when you run the Message Capture utility?
              If so, when you rerun POPFile the number decreases?

No, this is not the case.

Please find a short description about my findings in the History view (where you normally reclassify the messages):
              * Receiving new mails via POP3: everything is working as expected

* Receiving new mails via SMTP: new messages are not visible in the History view, but the messages are deliverd including the X-POPFile-Link

* Using the X-POPFile-Link: I am able to open the message in the POPFile History view, but the subject is missing in the History view

* Receiving new mails via SMTP using the Message Capture Utility: the messages received while using the Message Capture Utility are visible in the History view including the subject

* While not receiving any mail, the number of messages stays the same regardless of running POPFile via the Message Capture utility or not.

* For testing the SMTP mail deliviery, I used the following website to create the SMTP messages: http://www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html

Dirk

• Message #577

Hi Dirk,

Yes, I received messages while the Message Capture utility was running (via SMTP). After receiving some test messages via SMTP, I stopped the utility manually.

OK.

Please find a short description about my findings in the History view (where you normally reclassify the messages):
                <snip>

I've understood your situation.
                It's strange. The Message Capture utility just executes POPFile (popfile*f.exe) internally.
                I don't know why the utility cause the difference.

Brian, the utility just calls POPFile? Or it calls POPFile with any options?

Dirk, Are you using the system tray icon? When you disable the icon, does the problem still exist?

And I've added some more log messages for debugging.
                Could you download the new version of MQ.pm and replace the file in the POPFile directory with it?

http://getpopfile.org/browser/branches/b0_22_2/engine/POPFile/MQ.pm?rev=3383&format=raw

I hope this new code will help us debugging.

Naoki

• Message #581

Hi Naoki,

I've understood your situation.
                  It's strange. The Message Capture utility just executes POPFile (popfile*f.exe) internally.
                  I don't know why the utility cause the difference.

Dirk, Are you using the system tray icon? When you disable the icon, does the problem still exist?

I think I have found the explanation for the different behavoir of the software:
                  * Due to a previous installation and running popfile as a service, popfile was started via perl.exe with the parameter popfile.pl
                  * Your question regarding popfile*f.exe inspired me to use popfile.exe instead:
                  Using popfile.exe, the problem is gone!

If you need additional log files regarding using perl.exe with popfile.pl, please drop me a note.

Thanks for your support!

Dirk

• Message #583

Hi Dirk,

I think I have found the explanation for the different behavoir of the software:
                    * Due to a previous installation and running popfile as a service, popfile was started via perl.exe with the parameter popfile.pl
                    * Your question regarding popfile*f.exe inspired me to use popfile.exe instead:
                    Using popfile.exe, the problem is gone!

I'm glad to hear that!
                    I've fixed this bug and the other bugs.

If you need additional log files regarding using perl.exe with popfile.pl, please drop me a note.

I don't need them. Thanks.
                    I could find out the cause of the problem thanks to your report.

Thanks for your support!

You are welcome.

Naoki

• Message #582

The Windows installer creates several shortcuts which can be used to start POPFile. Assuming that POPFile is being run using either the "Run POPFile" StartUp shortcut or the Start Menu's "Message Capture utility" shortcut then there is a slight difference in the way in which POPFile gets run.

Both of these shortcuts will ensure that the POPFILE_ROOT and POPFILE_USER environment variables are correctly defined before starting POPFile. Both shortcuts use the same code to do this.

If the StartUp shortcut is used then popfile.exe will be executed without any command-line options. This Perl program will use popfile.cfg to determine which of the four main popfile*.exe programs should be run.

If the "Message Capture utility" shortcut is used then, depending upon the windows_trayicon setting in popfile.cfg, either popfilef.exe or popfileif.exe will be executed without any command-line options.

For example, if the system tray icon is enabled and the console window is disabled in popfile.cfg then the StartUp shortcut will result in popfileib.exe being used and the Message Capture shortcut will use popfileif.exe instead.

Brian

• Message #584

Hi Brian,

Thank you for detailed information.
                    I could understand the start-up mechanism.

BTW, I've fixed bugs related to the tray icon and the message history: [3385] and [3386]
                    Let's release the next RC. I really hope this is the final RC.

Naoki

• Message #585

Let's release the next RC. I really hope this is the final RC

OK, I'll get your latest changes and build a new Windows installer later today or tomorrow.

It has been a while since the release notes were last updated - do we need to add anything to them for the new RC6 ?

Brian

• Message #587

1.1.0 RC6 is now available (see home page for download links)

Brian

• Message #588

Hi Brian,

It has been a while since the release notes were last updated - do we need to add anything to them for the new RC6 ?

I think we don't need to update the release notes because most of my changes are only for the new tray icon and the new Mac version, and the others are very minor bug fixes.

Naoki