Help → popfile hangs

popfile hangs

Hi

recently updated my system from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007 and popfile from 0.22 to 1.0.0, on Windows XP.

I now have problems with popfile hanging. It basically stops working and I'm unable to kill the process to restart it, I have to reboot the PC. The tray icon often have a tooltip of "PerlTray?" or no tooltip at all, and does not respond. Checking email just hangs, or returns with no result even though there is plenty of emails.

No other options from the installed Start Menu actions seems to have any effect.

Any thoughts on what the problem is? Anything I can do to release the lock? Can it be fixed by going back to 0.22? Can I go back?

the problem is so frequent that it is becoming unusable but I want to try anything before I disable popfile as the filtering I get is just great and replicating the setup using other means is just a major hassle.

Thanks

olec

• Message #42

Hi,

I don't think that the update from 0.22 to 1.0.0 is at fault here. 1.0.0 is very stable and we've had very few bug reports.

The first thing I would try is to run POPFile without the tray icon. The tray icon is a known problem and turning it off often fixes any problems with POPFile.

• Message #52

So I turned off tray icon and turned on the cmd line
      Same problem persists. Here is some additional details:

I get

A copy of POPFile appears to be running.

Attempting to signal the previous copy.
      Waiting 10 seconds for a reply.

The other POPFile (5672) failed to signal back, starting new copy (2248)

even on startup of PC, which I assume is the pid file in the Application data\popfile directory

I also get log information like this:

2008/2/26 12:07:12 2248: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at stavanger.mail.slb.com:995

2008/2/26 12:07:12 2248: pop3: 521: Connected to stavanger.mail.slb.com:995 timeout 60

2008/2/26 12:07:20 2248: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done

2008/2/26 12:37:21 2248: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at stavanger.mail.slb.com:995

2008/2/26 12:37:21 2248: pop3: 521: Connected to stavanger.mail.slb.com:995 timeout 60

2008/2/26 12:37:25 2248: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done

2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at stavanger.mail.slb.com:995

2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 521: Connected to stavanger.mail.slb.com:995 timeout 60

2008/2/26 14:52:15 6288: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\DOCUME~1\omeldahl\APPLIC~1\POPFile/popfile.db (1)

2008/2/26 14:52:15 6288: bayes: 753: Using SQLite library version 2.8.15

2008/2/26 14:52:16 6288: WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module Encode; it is needed for "Japanese Language Support".[0a]WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module Encode::Guess; it is needed for "Japanese Language Support".[0a]WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module IO::Socket::Socks; it is needed for "Socks Proxy Support".[0a]WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module Text::Kakasi; it is needed for "Japanese Language Support".[0a]WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module XMLRPC::Transport::HTTP; it is needed for "XML-RPC Server Support".[0a]

2008/2/26 14:52:39 6288: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at stavanger.mail.slb.com:995

2008/2/26 14:52:39 6288: pop3: 521: Connected to stavanger.mail.slb.com:995 timeout 60

Maybe hard to read but the essence is that there is some issue in connection with DB that seems to pop up from time to time, and it also seems that the POP3 proxy done message of the previous attempt is NOT written out? Does this make sense?

olec

• Message #53

The most common reason for the "A copy of POPFile appears to be running..." message is that POPFile did not shut down properly the last time it was used.

Maybe hard to read but the essence is that there is some issue in connection with DB that seems to pop up from time to time

Do not worry about the "Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\DOCUME~1\omeldahl\APPLIC~1\POPFile/popfile.db (1)" entries in the log file - they are normal and do NOT indicate a problem. If there is a problem connecting to the database the log should show an error message such as "Failed to connect to database and got error ..."

You can also ignore all of the "WARNING: POPFile may require Perl module ..." messages - they just mean you have not installed some of the optional components.

it also seems that the POP3 proxy done message of the previous attempt is NOT written out?

This probably indicates that POPFile has crashed before completing the download of the messages.

The log file is not the only place where information about crashes can be found. Sometimes POPFile generates some console warnings or error messages when things go wrong. Normally these messages are hidden (i.e. not displayed). The easiest way to see these messages on a Windows system is to use the Message Capture utility.

I'm assuming you have POPFile configured to start automatically when Windows starts up. If POPFile now crashes almost every time you use it I think the easiest thing to do is shutdown POPFile and then use this shortcut:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

This will start POPFile using your normal settings but it will display the console messages in a scrollable window and let you copy these messages to the clipboard. If you see the message

"ERROR: POPFile needs Perl module Services::IMAP::Client, please install it."

please ignore it - this is a harmless bug in the 1.0.0 release.

Once you see the message "POPFile Engine v1.0.0 running" in the scrollable window POPFile is ready for use.

When POPFile crashes some new messages will appear in the scrollable window, includes the date and time the crash was detected by the utility. This will help identify the relevant parts of the log file.

If you right-click in that scrollable window you can copy all of the messages to the clipboard and save them. If you post all of the messages here it may help us work out what is going wrong.

If POPFile does not crash then you will have to remember to use the Message Capture utility the next time you start POPFile so you can capture the console messages the next time POPFile crashes.

The POPFile wiki has a page explaining how you can use the POPFile UI to enable/disable the Message Capture utility instead of having to remember to use its Start Menu shortcut every time: http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:messagecapture

Have you checked POPFile's database? If it gets corrupted strange things can happen.

Shutdown POPFile and use this shortcut created by the installer:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Check database status