Help → Popfile stopped downloading on "reset statistics"

Popfile stopped downloading on "reset statistics"

Hi there,

I have been using Popfile with my ISP and E-Mail client for some years without a problem. I have recently installed it on Vista 64 bit, and have again been using it for some months without error. Two days ago I did a "reset statistics", but since then it has not picked up E-Mail. I can pick up E-Mail from my ISP by bi-passing Popfile. I can access the popfile user interface, but E-Mail collection via Popfile and 'telnet 127.0.0.1:110' both timeout...

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:22:31 Collecting mail from POP3 server 127.0.0.1
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:22:52 Failed to connect to POP3 server 127.0.0.1:
Host IP address = 127.0.0.1
... trying to connect
Connection failed -

-- Winsock ERROR : Connection timed out

Any suggestions, or advice on pinpointing the problem?

Many thanks,
Tom.

• Message #67

Are you sure that this is really related to you resetting the statistics? That would be frightening.

Have you tried the connection troubleshooting page on the wiki?

• Message #70

Are you sure that this is really related to you resetting the statistics? That would be frightening.

I cannot be sure, but it happened at the same time. My stats are currently reading all 0s so nothing has gone through since they were reset, and I am sure that it was working at the point of reset (I wouldn't have reset it otherwise).

Have you tried the connection troubleshooting page on the wiki?

I have been through it, but I will do so again...

• Popfile is running. I can access the UI
      • Popfile set so Pop3 is listening on port 110
      • Mail client set to use port 110 on 127.0.0.1
      • telnet 127.0.0.1 110 results in

... trying to connect
      Connection failed -

• netstat -an > output.txt... the only reference to port 110 is

TCP 127.0.0.1:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

• Tried disabling virus checker, and also Windows firewall, with no improvement.
      • I have not yet run Adaware, but will dig it out an do so.
      • I have not run lspfix or WinSock? XP Fix , as I do not think that they are applicable to Vista.
      • Message #71

- Popfile is running. I can access the UI
        - Popfile set so Pop3 is listening on port 110
        - Mail client set to use port 110 on 127.0.0.1
        - telnet 127.0.0.1 110 results in

... trying to connect
        Connection failed -

Try changing the port POPFile listens on to something other than 110 (I used 124) and then try telnet to access 127.0.0.1 using that new port - this should show the "+OK POP3 POPFile ..." message.

If this works then you'll need to adjust your mail client to use the new port to talk to POPFile.

It seems something is now blocking access to port 110 on Vista, as someone else found recently in this topic

• Message #72

Try changing the port POPFile listens on to something other than 110 (I used 124) and then try telnet to access 127.0.0.1 using that new port - this should show the "+OK POP3 POPFile ..." message.

If this works then you'll need to adjust your mail client to use the new port to talk to POPFile.

It seems something is now blocking access to port 110 on Vista, as someone else found recently in this topic

That has fixed it. Strange! When I now do a 'netstat -an' I get three entries for port 124. Are three required for popfile (perhaps that was what was missing before)?

TCP 127.0.0.1:124 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
          TCP 127.0.0.1:124 127.0.0.1:60684 TIME_WAIT
          TCP 127.0.0.1:124 127.0.0.1:60686 TIME_WAIT

As 110 is a know port for pop3 then I can only assume that Vista is reserving it for some form of pop3. Perhaps just co-incidence that it happened when I reset the stats, but I have been running it on the current config for some 4 or 5+ months, with many a reboot etc and no problems.

Was the other person on 64 bit Vista? I don't think he said.

Anyway, thanks for your help - all now appears to be fine.

Tom.

• Message #73

I have had this same problem - running vista ultimate. Fixed by changing the port as above. When I looked at my netstat only popfile was using 110.

Had a quick look on Google but no one else seems to be reporting this problem at all. I would expect a few people to be talking about a problem on port 110!

• Message #84

Had a quick look on Google but no one else seems to be reporting this problem at all. I would expect a few people to be talking about a problem on port 110!

I think this is an AVG problem. According to the AVG Free Edition's "Email Scanning" support forum there appears to be a problem with access to port 110 on Vista systems after AVG gets updated to the 7.5.518 release. At least one AVG user reports that uninstalling AVG and performing a clean install of 7.5.518 solved the problem.

• Message #88

I think this is an AVG problem. According to the AVG Free Edition's "Email Scanning" support forum there appears to be a problem with access to port 110 on Vista systems after AVG gets updated to the 7.5.518 release. At least one AVG user reports that uninstalling AVG and performing a clean install of 7.5.518 solved the problem.

Well, I can confirm that I am using AVG. I have just checked the version and it is 7.5.519, so it must have updated again. I have now put Popfile back to work on port 110, and it is working fine.

• Message #89

I have just checked the version and it is 7.5.519, so it must have updated again.

I got that update this morning when AVG updated itself.

It was a bug in 7.5.518 - see this topic for details.

• Message #77

When I now do a 'netstat -an' I get three entries for port 124. Are three required for popfile ?

No. On my system I only get one entry (a LISTENING one) for the port I use for POPFile.

You could try 'netstat -ab' (you may need to run this as administrator) which should list the program responsible. POPFile will appear as popfileb.exe, popfilef.exe, popfileib.exe or popfileif.exe in the report. Here is how POPFile appeared when I ran the command on my Vista system:

TCP 127.0.0.1:321 Acer-PC:0 LISTENING

[popfilef.exe]

Was the other person on 64 bit Vista?

I'm not sure. Recent reports about a problem with port 110:

Vista Ultimate SP1
            Vista 64-bit
            Vista
            Vista
            Vista Home Basic

Two cases mentioned AVG Free Edition, another mentioned an anti-virus package but did not give its name. One of the Vista plus AVG cases is my system. My POPFile installation does not normally use port 110 but when I tried to use port 110 tonight it did not work.