Help → windows 7 / thunderbird 3.0 / popfile 1.1.1

windows 7 / thunderbird 3.0 / popfile 1.1.1

seems nothing is passing through the popfile. i had a backup from xp and the settings came over but the history is gone. Trying to setup TB again with popfile again and not being able to access through localhost. pop server 127.0.0.1 port 123 username pop.gmail.com:995:(email addy)
I tried with SSL installed and at the end of username:SSL both with and without port 995 there... nothing seems to work.
pop config has set to listen on port 123

not sure what im missing... been trying for hours..

• Message #1198

The Windows installer creates a diagnostic shortcut that should help identify the problem:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (full)

This will run some checks and display a report which can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

If you shut down POPFile you can use this shortcut to check the database:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Check database status

The report can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

Another thing you can do is shut down POPFile and then use this shortcut:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

This will start POPFile and display some messages that are normally hidden. If POPFile detects a problem extra error messages and/or warnings may be displayed. These messages can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

Brian

• Message #1199

The Windows installer creates a diagnostic shortcut that should help identify the problem:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (full)

This will run some checks and display a report which can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

If you shut down POPFile you can use this shortcut to check the database:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Check database status

The report can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

Another thing you can do is shut down POPFile and then use this shortcut:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

This will start POPFile and display some messages that are normally hidden. If POPFile detects a problem extra error messages and/or warnings may be displayed. These messages can be copied to the clipboard and pasted into a reply.

Brian

POPFile PFI Diagnostic Utility v0.1.14 (full mode)

String data report format (not used for numeric data)

string not found : ><
      empty string found : < >
      string with 'xyz' value found : < xyz >

Current UserName? = unreal (User)

Windows version =
      IsNT return code = 1
      Internet Explorer = 8.0

Location used to store temporary files

$TEMP folder path = < C:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Local\Temp >

Start Menu Locations

AU: $SMPROGRAMS = < C:\ProgramData?\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
      AU: $SMSTARTUP = < C:\ProgramData?\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "AU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

*.lnk files found = 4
      POPFile shortcuts = 0

CU: $SMPROGRAMS = < C:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
      CU: $SMSTARTUP = < C:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "CU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

Shortcut name = < Run POPFile.lnk >
      Shortcut start in = < D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      Shortcut target = < D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile\runpopfile.exe >
      Shortcut argument = < /startup >
      Target status = found

*.lnk files found = 2
      POPFile shortcuts = 1

Obsolete/testbed Registry Entries

[1] Pre-0.21 Data:

Pre-0.21 POPFile = ><
      Pre-0.21 Testbed = ><

[2] 0.21 Test Installer Data:

HKLM: RootDir?_LFN = ><
      HKLM: RootDir?_SFN = ><

HKCU: RootDir?_LFN = ><
      HKCU: RootDir?_SFN = ><
      HKCU: UserDir?_LFN = ><
      HKCU: UserDir?_SFN = ><

[3] Current PFI Testbed Data:

MRI PFI Testbed = ><
      MRI PFI Testdata = ><

POPFile Registry Data

NTFS SFN Disabled = < 2 >

HKLM: MRI Version = < 1.1.1 >

HKLM: NewParser? = ><

HKLM: InstallPath? = < D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKLM: RootDir?_LFN = < D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKLM: RootDir?_SFN = < D:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

HKLM: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

HKCU: Data Owner = < unreal >
      HKCU: MRI Version = < 1.1.1 >
      HKCU: RootDir?_LFN = < D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKCU: RootDir?_SFN = < D:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

HKCU: UserDir?_LFN = < d:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\POPFile >
      HKCU: UserDir?_SFN = < d:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\POPFile >

HKCU: popfile.pl = found
      HKCU: popfile.cfg = found

HKCU: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

POPFile Environment Variables

'POPFILE_ROOT' = < d:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >
      'POPFILE_USER' = < d:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\POPFile >

Env: popfile.pl = found
      Env: popfile.cfg = found

ROOT: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

'ITAIJIDICTPATH' = >< (this is OK)
      'KANWADICTPATH' = >< (this is OK)

'MECABRC' = >< (this is OK)

(report created 09-Feb-2010 @ 12:06:31)

POPFile SQLite Database Status Check (integrated) v0.2.0

Current user : unreal
      Current folder: D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile
      Command line : /REGISTRY

Trying to find database using registry data (HKCU)... found it!

POPFile database found (d:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\POPFile\popfile.db)

SQLite v3.6.13 utility found in D:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile

Database is in SQLite 3.x format, uses schema version 3 and its size is 32 KB

Result of running the 'pragma integrity_check;' command:
      ok

The POPFile database has passed the SQLite integrity check!

(report finished 09-Feb-2010 @ 12:11:08)

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.15

POPFILE_ROOT = d:\PROGRA~2\POPFile
      POPFILE_USER = d:\Users\unreal\AppData?\Roaming\POPFile
      Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile

(report started 09-Feb-2010 @ 12:12:46)

POPFile Engine loading

{core: windows}
      {core: config history logger mq}
      {classifier: bayes wordmangle}
      {interface: html xmlrpc}
      {proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
      {services: imap}

POPFile Engine v1.1.1 starting

Initializing...

{core: config history logger mq windows}
      {interface: html xmlrpc}
      {proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
      {services: imap}

Starting...

{interface: html}
      {proxy: pop3}
      {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.1.1 running

POPFile Engine v1.1.1 stopping

Stopping...

{interface: html}
      {proxy: pop3}
      {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.1.1 terminated

Status code: 0

(report finished 09-Feb-2010 @ 12:16:30)

• Message #1200

PFI Diagnostic report:

Windows version =

I'll need to update the utility so it can detect Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit versions)

NTFS SFN Disabled = < 2 >

This registry setting used to be either 0 or 1 - Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008?) appears to allow values 0, 1, 2 or 3 here. I'll need to decide how to handle this.

POPFile SQLite Database Status Check report:

Database is in SQLite 3.x format, uses schema version 3 and its size is 32 KB

The SQLite database (popfile.db) appears to be empty. In other words the file d:\Users\unreal\AppData\Roaming\POPFile\popfile.db does not seem to include the data from your old system. This is why you cannot see any HISTORY in the POPFile UI (the HISTORY pages use data retrieved from the database).

Where did you put the copy of popfile.db from your old Windows XP system when you transferred your data to the new Windows 7 64-bit system?

Thunderbird should still have been able to check your mail via POPFile, even with an empty POPFile database (everything would be marked as 'unclassified'). The Message Capture report does not show anything unexpected. You can use telnet to check that POPFile is able to access the mail server by following the instructions I gave in another thread.

Note that you'll need to change the "110" to "123" as you have configured POPFile to listen on port 123, and change the USER command to use the appropriate email server.

Brian

• Message #1201

for some reason the db file wasnt copied over, thx for pointing it out, i found it in the old version, and put it in the proper place. i am using 64bit windows 7.

i tried to telnet and it worked just fine. so i guess it must be something with the settings in thunderbird.

gmail uses port 995 for ssl, with this newer version 1.1.1 its set to listen on port 123 and the username account is pop.gmail.com:995:(user email addy):SSL is something wrong with that?

• Message #1202

the username account is pop.gmail.com:995:(user email addy):SSL

You can omit the ":995" part because the ":ssl" part at the end tells POPFile to use SSL to make the connection to the mail server. In other words either of these strings should work:

pop.gmail.com:995:(user email addy):SSL
            pop.gmail.com:(user email addy):SSL

You will need to have the optional SSL support files for POPFile installed, otherwise POPFile will report an error.

Do NOT set Thunderbird to use SSL for this account: the SSL connection will be made between POPFile and Gmail.

After you have used Thunderbird to check your Gmail account, look in POPFile's log file and you should find some entries like this, confirming that POPFile was using SSL to access the mail server:

2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at pop.gmail.com:995
            2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 521: Connected to pop.gmail.com:995 timeout 60

If the log shows "Attempting to connect to POP server at ..." then POPFile is trying to make an ordinary POP3 connection to the mail server.

The POPFile UI's CONFIGURATION page has a link to the current log file, if you are not sure where it is stored.

Brian

• Message #1203

the username account is pop.gmail.com:995:(user email addy):SSL

You can omit the ":995" part because the ":ssl" part at the end tells POPFile to use SSL to make the connection to the mail server. In other words either of these strings should work:

pop.gmail.com:995:(user email addy):SSL
              pop.gmail.com:(user email addy):SSL

You will need to have the optional SSL support files for POPFile installed, otherwise POPFile will report an error.

Do NOT set Thunderbird to use SSL for this account: the SSL connection will be made between POPFile and Gmail.

After you have used Thunderbird to check your Gmail account, look in POPFile's log file and you should find some entries like this, confirming that POPFile was using SSL to access the mail server:

2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 504: Attempting to connect to SSL server at pop.gmail.com:995
              2008/2/26 13:07:32 2248: pop3: 521: Connected to pop.gmail.com:995 timeout 60

If the log shows "Attempting to connect to POP server at ..." then POPFile is trying to make an ordinary POP3 connection to the mail server.

The POPFile UI's CONFIGURATION page has a link to the current log file, if you are not sure where it is stored.

Brian

oh son of a... thx! i see what the issue was,

i did have thunderbird set to ssl so it was tying ssl in the username and the program lol. took it out and all is working. i knew it was a setting somewhere i messed up thx Brian!!! doesnt seem to be sorting at all in thunderbird, but i see it being processed in popfile, so i know its working. Now all i need is yahoo to work and the classifications to actually sort.