Help → startup on Windows 7 problem

startup on Windows 7 problem

I installed POPFile 1.1.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium. The installation appeared to go ok, but POPFile will not start. I've tried starting the program from the start menu and the command prompt. No errors appear, and there is no POPFile application, process, or service listed in task manager. I also cannot connect to the UI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

• Message #1294

The Windows installer creates some Start Menu shortcuts that should provide some information that will help diagnose the problem:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (full)

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

The first shortcut will perform some checks on your installation and display a long report in a scrollable window. If you right-click in this window you can copy the report to the clipboard and paste it into a reply here.

The second shortcut will display some messages and then try to start POPFile for you. This utility displays its report in a scrollable window and this report can also be copied and pasted here. If POPFile detects a problem that stops it from starting up then some warning and/or error messages should appear in the report.

Brian

• Message #1295

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. The following stream is the result of the PFI Diagnostic Utility (full). The results of the Message Capture Utility are also included below.

Regards, Tim

POPFile PFI Diagnostic Utility v0.1.14 (full mode)

String data report format (not used for numeric data)

string not found : ><
      empty string found : < >
      string with 'xyz' value found : < xyz >

Current UserName? = timnruth (User)

Windows version =
      IsNT return code = 1
      Internet Explorer = 8.0

Location used to store temporary files

$TEMP folder path = < C:\Users\timnruth\AppData?\Local\Temp >

Start Menu Locations

AU: $SMPROGRAMS = < C:\ProgramData?\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
      AU: $SMSTARTUP = < C:\ProgramData?\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "AU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

*.lnk files found = 0
      POPFile shortcuts = 0

CU: $SMPROGRAMS = < C:\Users\timnruth\AppData?\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
      CU: $SMSTARTUP = < C:\Users\timnruth\AppData?\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "CU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

Shortcut name = < Run POPFile.lnk >
      Shortcut start in = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      Shortcut target = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile\runpopfile.exe >
      Shortcut argument = < /startup >
      Target status = found

*.lnk files found = 1
      POPFile shortcuts = 1

Obsolete/testbed Registry Entries

[1] Pre-0.21 Data:

Pre-0.21 POPFile = ><
      Pre-0.21 Testbed = ><

[2] 0.21 Test Installer Data:

HKLM: RootDir?_LFN = ><
      HKLM: RootDir?_SFN = ><

HKCU: RootDir?_LFN = ><
      HKCU: RootDir?_SFN = ><
      HKCU: UserDir?_LFN = ><
      HKCU: UserDir?_SFN = ><

[3] Current PFI Testbed Data:

MRI PFI Testbed = ><
      MRI PFI Testdata = ><

POPFile Registry Data

NTFS SFN Disabled = < 2 >

HKLM: MRI Version = < 1.1.1 >

HKLM: NewParser? = ><

HKLM: InstallPath? = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKLM: RootDir?_LFN = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKLM: RootDir?_SFN = < C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

HKLM: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

HKCU: Data Owner = < timnruth >
      HKCU: MRI Version = < 1.1.1 >
      HKCU: RootDir?_LFN = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKCU: RootDir?_SFN = < C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

HKCU: UserDir?_LFN = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile >
      HKCU: UserDir?_SFN = < C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

HKCU: popfile.pl = found
      HKCU: popfile.cfg = found

HKCU: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

POPFile Corpus/Database Backup Data

HKCU: backup locn = < C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile\backup >

backup.ini file = found
      Flat-file folder = not found
      Flat / BDB folder = found
      SQLite DB backup = found

POPFile Environment Variables

'POPFILE_ROOT' = < C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >
      'POPFILE_USER' = < C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile >

Env: popfile.pl = found
      Env: popfile.cfg = found

ROOT: *.exe count = 6 (this is OK)

'ITAIJIDICTPATH' = >< (this is OK)
      'KANWADICTPATH' = >< (this is OK)

'MECABRC' = >< (this is OK)

(report created 03-May-2010 @ 22:10:16)

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.15

POPFILE_ROOT = C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile
      POPFILE_USER = C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile
      Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile

(report started 03-May-2010 @ 22:12:49)

POPFile Engine loading

{core: windows}
      {core: config history logger mq}
      {classifier: bayes wordmangle}
      {interface: html}
      {proxy: pop3}
      {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.1.1 starting

Initializing...

{core: config history logger mq windows}
      {classifier: bayes wordmangle}
      {interface: html}
      {proxy: pop3

A copy of POPFile appears to be running.

Attempting to signal the previous copy.
      Waiting 10 seconds for a reply.

A copy of POPFile is running.
      It has signaled that it is alive with process ID: 3656

Failed to start while starting the config module at C:\PROGRA~2\POPFile/POPFile/Loader.pm line 713.
      }

{services:}

Starting...

{core:

Status code: 9

(report finished 03-May-2010 @ 22:13:00)

• Message #1296

The "It has signaled that it is alive with process ID: 3656" line in the Message Capture report indicates that POPFile was already running (even though you could not find it in the Task Manager) when the Message Capture utility tried to start POPFile for you.

The Windows installer defaults to installing the POPFile program in the "Program Files" folder. Since POPFile is a 32-bit application and you are using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium the installer has installed the program in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile" folder. This is the normal location for the POPFile program.

The diagnostic utility report shows that you were logged in as timnruth when you ran it. If you used the same account when you ran the POPFile installer then the installer should have offered to install the POPFile User Data in the "C:\Users\timnruth\AppData\Roaming\POPFile" folder.

However the diagnostic utility report shows that the POPFile User Data has been stored in the same folder as the POPFile program. Did the installer not suggest the "C:\Users\timnruth\AppData\Roaming\POPFile" folder when you installed POPFile?

Using "C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile" for the POPFile User Data is not a good idea, especially on Vista and Windows 7 systems. The timnruth account is a standard user account which means Windows 7 will not really let it write to the location you have selected for the User Data.

The diagnostic utility report suggests that you had some POPFile User Data from an older computer and tried to transfer this to your new Windows 7 computer. It is possible to do this but you need to take into account the need to avoid using the Program Files folder for this data, even though older versions of POPFile on older versions of Windows could use it. (I'll explain how to transfer the data later.)

If you have data from a previous POPFile installation that you want to transfer to the Windows 7 system I think the first thing to do is make sure that the timnruth account is using the correct location for the POPFile User Data.

However since the Message Capture report indicates that POPFile is running it would be safer to shut it down before trying to reconfigure it. I am a bit puzzled that you cannot see any POPFile processes in the Task Manager. According to the diagnostic report the Start Up shortcut "belongs" to the timnruth account so you should be able to see it in the Task Manager's "Processes" list. There are a variety of process names but they all contain the string "popfile" (e.g. popfileib.exe *32).

Brian

• Message #1297

I confirmed that I can't see Popfile in the process list. You're correct that I am trying to transfer my settings from another computer. My XP computer died, so I rebuilt with Windows 7. I followed the instructions on getpopfile.org and copied my previous installation to the "program files (x64)\popfile" directory. I then ran the Popfile installer. How do I configure Popfile to use the correct location?

Thanks, Tim

• Message #1298

I followed the instructions on getpopfile.org

Which page(s) did you use? It looks like that part of the wiki needs to be updated!

How do I configure Popfile to use the correct location?

To reset the environment variables, registry data and other POPFile settings for the timnruth account run the adduser.exe program found in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\POPFile' folder. This will start the Add POPFile User wizard.

At the "Choose POPFile Data Location for 'timnruth'" page in the wizard select the 'C:\Users\timnruth\AppData\Roaming\POPFile' folder (either by using the "Browse" button or by typing it in - the wizard incorporates auto-completion to help you).

The wizard will create some basic configuration data, including some buckets for you. Don't worry about this; when you transfer the data from your old installation these buckets will be replaced by your old set of buckets.

At the "POPFile can now be started" page select the "No" radiobutton to prevent the wizard from starting POPFile (because it is safer to check things first).

After closing the wizard check the changes it has made:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (simple)

Check the User Data folder has been set to 'C:\Users\timnruth\AppData\Roaming\POPFile'

You should now be able to start POPFile, access the UI and see the process in the Task Manager.

Once that is all working you can transfer the data from your old installation. You have not said which version of POPFile you were using on the old computer so I cannot give you step-by-step instructions yet.

Brian

• Message #1301

Which page(s) did you use? It looks like that part of the wiki needs to be updated!

http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:backup

I copied the \program files\popfile directory (which included user data) to \program files (x86)\popfile on Win 7 and then ran the installer.

Once that is all working you can transfer the data from your old installation. You have not said which version of POPFile you were using on the old computer so I cannot give you step-by-step instructions yet.

I was using v1.1.1 for Windows on XP Home and am now on v1.1.1 for Windows on Win 7 Home Premium.

I really appreciate the help.

Tim

• Message #1302

http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:backup

Thanks for that; I'll raise a ticket and post something in the documentation forum about this problem to make it harder to forget about it.

I was using v1.1.1 for Windows on XP Home and am now on v1.1.1 for Windows on Win 7 Home Premium.

That makes things much easier as there will be no database upgrades that need to be monitored.

All you have to do is shut POPFile down and then copy the following files and folders from the old installation to the new one in 'C:\Users\timnruth\AppData\Roaming\POPFile'

(a) POPFile's configuration file (the popfile.cfg file)

(b) the list of words which POPFile will ignore (the stopwords file)

(c) the SQLite database containing all the bucket and magnet data etc (the popfile.db file)

(d) the message history files (the messages folder and all of its sub-folders)

If there was no message history stored in the old installation then step (d) can be skipped; you only need to copy the messages folder if you want to be able to use the new installation to re-classify a message in the old message history.

After you have done this you can check the integrity of the database before you try to use it in the new installation:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Check database status

This will also report the size of the database.

Brian

• Message #1304

Success! Thanks so much for your help.

Tim

• Message #1305

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear POPFile is working on your new system.

Brian