Help → ssl connection not working

ssl connection not working

Hello All,

I originally posted this at the Sourceforge forums, but I was told to post over here as they are more active.

Brian, I tried what you suggested, but that is still not working. I get the following error:
Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

I KNOW it does because I can connect using ssl w/Outlook 2007 w/o POPFile.
Here are my generic settings:

Incoming Mail server: 127.0.0.1
user name: pop3.mymail.com:userid:ssl
password:*********

In the "Advanced" tab the incoming mail server port = 110
POPFile is set to listen on port 110.
If I change POPFile to 995 I can no longer "see" my mail server.

I have also tried putting "995" in between my mail server and my user id, but no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Craigbert
Windows 7 64bit, Outlook 2007, POPFile 1.1.3

• Message #1607

In the "Advanced" tab the incoming mail server port = 110

You also need to make sure that "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" is not selected for the incoming (POP3) mail server (because POPFile does not support an SSL connection between Outlook and POPFile).

By default POPFile's log file does not include a lot of detail. If you increase the logger level then the log file will contain more detail about POPFile's responses to requests from Outlook. See Preparing a log to help debugging problems and Logger Level

Entries in the log file are timestamped so if you make a note of the time when Outlook tries to check for new mail it should be easy to find the relevant section of the log.

Warning: when the logger level is set to 2 any POPFile UI access will generate a lot of log file messages which can make it a little harder to read the log.

Brian

• Message #1608

Brian,

Thanks a lot. That box was checked. After I removed it that did the trick.

Sincerely,

Craigbert

• Message #1609

Glad to hear things are now working.

If you increased the logger level to 2 then I recommend you change it back to 0 (or 1) because at level 2 the log file will include the entire text (headers and bodies) of all email messages processed by POPFile.

Brian