Help → Moving from Win to Ubuntu

Moving from Win to Ubuntu

I have tried to follow the (good) "Backup, Restoration, and Transferring POPFile Settings" info to move from Windows 2K (I know, nevermind) POPFile 1.1.3 TO a POPFile 1.1.3 new install on Ubuntu Server 12.04.

All I want to do is get the buckets and the classification data, the new config on ubuntu's install is otherwise satisfactory and working for me fine, as expected.

So, I stopped both POPfiles and copied (just) the POPFile.db from Windows to the var/lib/popfile directory on ubuntu (saving the existing .db, in case).

When I restarted POPfile on ubuntu, HURRAH, the UI showed me I had moved the buckets and what I thought was all I needed. BUT, when I tried to retrieve EMails, my Email client (Eudora on Windows) logs in, sees the Email there and eventually (45-60 secs, maybe) gives up waiting for POPfile to retrieve it and get it to Eudora.

Fortunately, restoring the old popfile.db gets it working, but back with the new (un-populated) classification data. !

I thought maybe the past message data in the windows popfile.db file was putting off the ubuntu installation somehow, so I tried deleting all the active message data via the UI before stopping again and taking a copy over to ubuntu after deleting all the message data on the ubuntu side, too, restarting POPFile. No difference.

There must be something else in the popfile.db from the WINDOWS side...like WHERE the new incoming messages are supposed to go when retrieved, maybe?!... that doesn't map to anything on ubuntu...probably!?

Anyway, I can't figure out a way to make it work, so I am reclassifying EMails all over again.

Can anyone shed light on this for those future souls who might be following my transitioning away from WIN to something else?

wgk

• Message #1694

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

Please check the permission of 'popfile.db'.

Ubuntu version of POPFile uses the 'popfile' account and the owner of 'popfile.db' should be 'popfile:popfile'.

Naoki

• Message #1696

Hi,

Sorry for late reply.

Please check the permission of 'popfile.db'.

Ubuntu version of POPFile uses the 'popfile' account and the owner of 'popfile.db' should be 'popfile:popfile'.

Naoki

Good idea, but I don't think so. I checked and the copied popfile.db from WIN was still in the directory (renamed oldsyspopfile.db) and it is owned by popfile:popfile.

I was thinking something like a temp store location for the incoming emails wasn't found, maybe WIN puts them in /D&S/something while ubuntu puts them some other place that doesn't map...does the popfile.db provide the directory location? It's getting hung up trying to write something somewhere and happens when you retrieve mail, but the .db sure seems likely, too.

THX for the help...I haven't time right now to try again, wish I did, but my classification base is already >week into building up and is a tolerable .db already.

For people moving to ubuntu server: I have it running stable on 10.04.1 and 12.04.2. It had been lotsa years for me on Win2K and I felt I was going to hate the task of teaching the classifier to set up the popfile.db over again. Teaching it really doesn't last that long and was WORTH THE TRIP to kiss off Win, finally.

wgk

• Message #1698

Good idea, but I don't think so. I checked and the copied popfile.db from WIN was still in the directory (renamed oldsyspopfile.db) and it is owned by popfile:popfile.

Thanks for information.

I was thinking something like a temp store location for the incoming emails wasn't found, maybe WIN puts them in /D&S/something while ubuntu puts them some other place that doesn't map...does the popfile.db provide the directory location? It's getting hung up trying to write something somewhere and happens when you retrieve mail, but the .db sure seems likely, too.

'popfile.db' does not contain any information about directory.
        The message directory is defined in 'popfile.cfg'.

THX for the help...I haven't time right now to try again, wish I did, but my classification base is already >week into building up and is a tolerable .db already.

I'm sorry that I couldn't solve your problem.
        But I'm glad to hear that your new POPFile installation works good.

For people moving to ubuntu server: I have it running stable on 10.04.1 and 12.04.2. It had been lotsa years for me on Win2K and I felt I was going to hate the task of teaching the classifier to set up the popfile.db over again. Teaching it really doesn't last that long and was WORTH THE TRIP to kiss off Win, finally.

Yes, POPFile can learn fast. We have a document 'How long will it take until POPFile will reach a decent accuracy?' here:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/faq:whengood

Naoki