Help → upgrading w/IMACS+SSL

upgrading w/IMACS+SSL

I have been trying to upgrade PF to 1.0.0 on a winxp machine. I have used the previous version of PF for about 2 years through thunderbird without any problems through POP3 but I am dumping my crappy starband satellite and going dsl. I now use gmail and still use thunderbird. I downloaded the installer and ran it, checking both IMAP and SSL to be installed.
It went fine until it tried to install the SSL module. It said it could not
download it because my internet connection is down, which is false. I went to the site and downloaded the module manually just to show it, but I have no idea where to put it or how to tell the installer I have it. I haven't seen such problems mentioned, but perhaps I haven't browsed enough or everybody expects winxp to fail and has a workaround. Any ideas?

• Message #138

It said it could not download it because my internet connection is down, which is false.

The message actually says "... Your Internet connection seems to be down or disabled ..."

This message is displayed if the installer is unable to access the internet.

One of the possible reasons for this is that a firewall is blocking the installer's access to the internet. Perhaps you need to give permission for the installer to access the internet?

I went to the site and downloaded the module manually just to show it, but I have no idea where to put it or how to tell the installer I have it.

In order to install SSL support the installer downloads a total of six files, including two archives which need to be unpacked.

Try downloading the SSL files again - you can use POPFile's "Add/Remove Programs" entry to add SSL support to your 1.0.0 installation. Make sure your firewall is not blocking the downloader.

The University of Winnipeg repository is a very reliable one but no doubt it has some downtime now and again so perhaps you were just unlucky.

a workaround.

If you are still having trouble you can install some old SSL support files using the standalone SSL Setup wizard by running the command:

addssl.exe /BUILTIN

These files should be good enough to let you use POPFile's SSL Support (but I've not tried this with the 1.0.0 release). Here is a download link for the standalone wizard (629 KB):

http://www.sugelan.co.uk/popfile/download/cvsbuild/addssl.zip

• Message #139

Thanks for the response, Brian.

I use only the Windows firewall. I turned it off and I saw the same failure.
      The U Winnipeg repository seems reliable, as I was able to download
      from it immediately after the failure as I described. The failure has
      happened many times over the past 1.5 weeks including today, so I'm not just unlucky.

I downloaded the addsl.zip and ran it as you described, and that installed OK.

I restarted PF and configured it to use IMAP and SSL, but I don't see any symptom of PF doing anything to incoming messages via gmail, such as appearing in the history list. How can I tell?

• Message #140

The failure has happened many times over the past 1.5 weeks including today, so I'm not just unlucky.

The installer uses a third-party plugin to download the files. The 1.0.1 installer will use a newer version of that plugin which might work better on your system. The first release candidate for POPFile 1.0.1 has just been made available so I hope it won't be long before the new installer gets released.

I restarted PF and configured it to use IMAP and SSL, but I don't see any symptom of PF doing anything to incoming messages via gmail, such as appearing in the history list. How can I tell?

I think the easiest way to tell is to go to the ADVANCED page in the UI, change the logger_level from 0 to 1, click the "Update" button at the foot of the page to save the change and then try looking at POPFile's log file. The CONFIGURATION page in the UI has a link to display the current log file.

I'm not familiar with the IMAP module so I am not sure what you'll see in the log file. If logger_level 1 does not give enough information you can increase the level to 2 but if you do that it can be hard to understand the log file, especially if you use the UI a lot.

POPFile stores its log files in the User Data folder. This folder also holds the configuration file (popfile.cfg). The SFN address is shown on the ADVANCED page in the UI (at the top of the list of parameters) and a more user-friendly address can be shown using

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostics utility (Simple)

Remember that the IMAP module works very differently from the POP3 one. The main difference being that the IMAP module moves messages around on the IMAP server, as explained in the wiki.

http://getpopfile.org/docs/experimentalmodules:imapinstructions

(minor edit to the Start Menu shortcut)