Help → How to install popfile 1.1.3 on Debian Etch (RAIDiator 4.2)

How to install popfile 1.1.3 on Debian Etch (RAIDiator 4.2)

I am running popfile v1.1.1 on my NAS and I cannot update it via apt-get because the NAS is running on such an old version of Linux (Debian Etch). I suppose I can manually copy the files from the popfile-1.1.3.zip to the right places on my NAS. But which are the right places? How can I do an update?

Thanks in advance!

• Message #2149

It's a standard manual upgrade procedure that you need to apply:
    You need to:
    - get the 1.1.3 cross-platform archive from the download page (http://getpopfile.org/downloads/popfile-1.1.3.zip),
    - stop POPFile,
    - backup your whole POPFile directory on your machine,
    - unpack the 1.1.3 zip archive contents over the existing POPFile files.
    - start POPFile.

• Message #2150

Thanks, that's good news. However, I am not sure I know exactly how to "unpack the 1.1.3 zip archive contents over the existing POPFile files". It seems those files are in various places...

• Message #2151

Thanks, that's good news. However, I am not sure I know exactly how to "unpack the 1.1.3 zip archive contents over the existing POPFile files". It seems those files are in various places...

Oh, right. I could compare the 1.1.1 .deb and .zip fles, and the 1.1.1 and 1.1.3 zip files (no 1.1.3 .dev file available AFAIK). The .deb package of POPFile splits the files list a bit and installs some stuff in several locations: /etc/, /usr/sbin/, few files in /usr/share/{bug,doc,man}/ and the engine resides in /usr/share/popfile/.

That could make a manual upgrade potentially a bit more complex, and with no guarantee that it won't break (deploying one parachute more: I didn't test it on debian) BUT..

.. knowing that between 1.1.1 and 1.1.3, there was no major rewrite, and that the split of files is only intended to store service launcher and data in /etc, few doc and license files in /usr/<somewhere> and 3 wrappers in /usr/sbin/ that will no suffer if the engine is updated, I would rely on a very simple file overwrite of files in /usr/share/popfile/ (of course, back it up before) with the straight contents of the cross-platform zip contents.
        By doing this, you will add few files that are normally located elsewhere, but it's all about the docs and license file, won't affect the way the engine works. I don't know where the db stands, but it's not migrated by updating from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 and not overwritten by the zip contents anyway.

Worth trying, but I'm pretty confident it will simply work.

• Message #2157

Thanks for comparing the two archives.
          I unzipped the 1.1.3 zip into /usr/share/popfile, so far so good. But now I have a problem with permissions:

NAS:~# /usr/share/popfile/start_popfile.sh &
          [1] 23517
          NAS:~# /usr/share/popfile/start_popfile.sh: line 26: /usr/share/popfile/popfile.pl: Permission denied
          /usr/share/popfile/start_popfile.sh: line 26: exec: /usr/share/popfile/popfile.pl: cannot execute: Success

[1]+ Exit 126 /usr/share/popfile/start_popfile.sh
          NAS:~#

• Message #2158

Whohoo, I'm proud of myself. I managed to fix it (but I'm not sure if the owndership change was actually necessary, so please advise if that was correct). Here are the two simple things I did:

First:
            NAS:/usr/share/popfile# chown -R popfile:popfile .

And then:
            NAS:/usr/share/popfile# chmod -R +x *.pl

Done.

• Message #2159

Be proud of yourself, you did it!
              The -R (recursion) switch of the second chmod command was not necessary, but it's harmless anyway.
              Glad that it works for you now :-).