Help → Restarting Popfile

Restarting Popfile

After a repair installation of windows XP, Popfile did not start, and there was no start entry in any start program menu. I have 6 *.exe files in my Programs Files directory. Which one do I use to restart Popfile (and keep all data files from the previous installation)

• Message #2201

Running the adduser.exe program should recreate the Start Menu shortcuts for account used to run the utility.

adduser.exe is the Add POPFile User wizard which is used during the installation of POPFile.

The online manual has some information about the Utilities shipped with the Windows version of POPFile.

I think it would be a good idea to run the utility which checks the database used by POPFile (to make sure it has not been damaged).

• Message #2202

Thanks for the help with restarting POPFile. Everything went well, and I'm back on the air....all except for that annoying "X-POPFile-Link." I can't get it back into the header of my incoming messages. I've seen that others were having a similar problem. Has anybody solved it?

Also, I don't understand personalities very well. Since you apparently can't have different personalities sending outgoing mail to different recipients, what's the point of having them. Maybe you can enlighten me without spending too much time or too many words.

• Message #2203

I've gotten no responses to my appeal for a fix that will put the X-POPFile-Link back into my incoming mail. It's way too difficult to reclassify email without that link to take me straight to the message. My incoming mail has turned into one big glop. Is there any hope?

• Message #2204

The "Bucket" tab in the POPFile User Interface has a "Bucket Configuration" section where you can control the changes POPFile makes to the headers of the messages it has classified.

There are separate "Subject Header Modification", "X-Text-Classification Header", "X-POPFile-Link Header" and "Quarantine Message" checkboxes for each bucket. You can also change the bucket colours here.

After changing these checkboxes or the bucket colours remember to click the "Apply Changes" button.

I think these changes take effect immediately but if they don't then you'll need to restart POPFile to make it use the new configuration.

Also, I don't understand personalities very well. Since you apparently can't have different personalities sending outgoing mail to different recipients, what's the point of having them. Maybe you can enlighten me without spending too much time or too many words.

I do not understand this question. Can you supply some more information about the problem?

• Message #2205

I have checked all 5 boxes (buckets) for "X-Text-Classification Header" and "X-POPFile-Link Header." I have clicked "Apply Changes," and I have restarted PopFile?. No change. Here is the header from my test message:

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sprintmail.com;

s=dk12062016; t=1520728678; bh=E0plv31qe3sHI+ustwf8a0io6TQNvyK+2ohk
            4vaTQho=; h=Received:X-Mailer:Date:To:From:Subject:Mime-Version:

Content-Type:Message-ID:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP; b=lzr33b9y9

A4+W/IgKWfKHtGSlkhIBYh+MRqQDxF/eKkOCQvxUDuLOK6Ihtg47LKoqW5AGDeTSSWi
            S9hfydZ1sRRFGD3lTKd9YyUlfZOjIZWg7Q05fgy4Y78q6SA3CVcThdh74LBTtkCuE6D
            ZPpgz3+ndSecqRmd87ZuBjnarL44u1ABRZGicsrGD73NDLGLocZMA27O2rtQeaJoRfu
            ZCxoqV4fOJAYFoz1b5HNQwe/a0TV0wqlMLpvlZqMs8miK8IdNXihPggBdMX+nHfy9+D
            9K16shvxhnVKoZ7VFXZ59NWAGYUiUw9hz72ZbMXpBH3JSi5TWmYxP4OQXM69GUzaw==

DomainKey?-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;

s=dk12062016; d=sprintmail.com;
            b=FLiz/9clbCtN+l+HaPQA8QiV+iklGZBVVB8kmx6xtvPx/+1cr5eHZmKceYDb8yj8Ouynipt0eY/pTPtdsGOarIkLr0OVhs9ZUvlSI2iR2dmmYchXmbv2UAi6b4My6Jqf1JBeyoOXh8kJK0wS03HVn2LgHGKMqx3PxGEK5wn6Wq/K1ctIzxE2m82tJ4ymTTCllvrEuKRHH/OHm8H4ye+hyr233uHdHXDAg9pjp1tXv6vACFJmCw53f/py4pS+Fpspf72nQ2v/EjJlAzAC8pYfg/BOOD4ukEv8j3jKQNYWHBN8+JXzx8DJNnrCTsFHZuLJ30f5u0ki1pZfgwKL9hy1ig==;
            h=Received:X-Mailer:Date:To:From:Subject:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 7.1.0.9
            Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:37:54 -0800
            To: c******g@sprintmail.com
            Subject: maybe? now?
            X-ELNK-Trace: 1fd50121b282c914223321b494de702558004a783000c4d1fea0924cb6fe5c85abcf5509da386323350badd9bab72f9c350badd9bab72f9c350badd9bab72f9c
            X-Originating-IP: 216.155.218.230
            X-ELNK-TLSInbound: 1
            X-ELNK-AV: 0
            X-ELNK-Info: sbv=0; sbrc=.0; sbf=00; sbw=010;

I have been agonizing over this since early March, when I had to repair my Windows XP installation. Prior to that, all of my incoming email had the "X-POPFile-Link Header" in it. Since then, zilch, and I have tried everything short of Voodoo, and I would have tried that if I knew how. I've seen other people with this problem in forums, so I must not have a completely unique situation. But I do appreciate your response. No one else has come to the rescue, or even tried.
            PS: Ignore my question about Personalities. I just don't know how they are expected to be used.

• Message #2206

I have checked all 5 boxes (buckets) for "X-Text-Classification Header" and "X-POPFile-Link Header." I have clicked "Apply Changes," and I have restarted POPFile. No change. ... I have been agonizing over this since early March, when I had to repair my Windows XP installation.

Have you checked that POPFile really is processing your incoming mail?

New messages should be appearing in the HISTORY tab in the POPFile User Interface and the POPFile log file should have entries similar to this (with some extra text such as timestamps for each line), assuming that you have configured POPFile to handle POP3 mail:

bayes: 811: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite:dbname=C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\POPFile/popfile.db (1)
              bayes: 912: Using SQLite library version 3.7.2
              pop3: 541: Attempting to connect to POP server at pop.example.net:110
              pop3: 557: Connected to pop.example.net:110 timeout 60
              pop3: 682: POP3 proxy done

The log file can be found in your POPFile user directory. You can also view it from the CONFIGURATION tab in the POPFile User Interface, the Logging section has a link to “Download current log file.”

PS: Ignore my question about Personalities. I just don't know how they are expected to be used.

"Personalities" is the term Eudora uses to refer to email accounts.

If your ISP provides an email service and you also have two Gmail accounts and a Hotmail email account then you would need to define four personalities in Eudora to handle email from your ISP, Gmail and Hotmail email accounts.

These personalities let you send and receive email from all four accounts. When you start to write a new email message you select the appropriate personality to ensure the message is sent using the required email account.

• Message #2209

I have checked all 5 boxes (buckets) for "X-Text-Classification Header" and "X-POPFile-Link Header." I have clicked "Apply Changes," and I have restarted POPFile. No change. ... I have been agonizing over this since early March, when I had to repair my Windows XP installation.

Have you checked that POPFile really is processing your incoming mail?

New messages should be appearing in the HISTORY tab in the POPFile User Interface and the POPFile log file should have entries similar to this (with some extra text such as timestamps for each line), assuming that you have configured POPFile to handle POP3 mail:
                {{{
                bayes: 811: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite:dbname=C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\POPFile/popfile.db (1)
                bayes: 912: Using SQLite library version 3.7.2
                pop3: 541: Attempting to connect to POP server at pop.example.net:110
                pop3: 557: Connected to pop.example.net:110 timeout 60
                pop3: 682: POP3 proxy done
                }}}
                The log file can be found in your POPFile user directory. You can also view it from the CONFIGURATION tab in the POPFile User Interface, the Logging section has a link to “Download current log file.”

"Personalities" is the term Eudora uses to refer to email accounts.

If your ISP provides an email service and you also have two Gmail accounts and a Hotmail email account then you would need to define four personalities in Eudora to handle email from your ISP, Gmail and Hotmail email accounts.

These personalities let you send and receive email from all four accounts. When you start to write a new email message you select the appropriate personality to ensure the message is sent using the required email account.

• Message #2210

Brian, you nailed it. POPFile was not getting any of my emails. I can't believe I struggled with trying to get that X-Link for so long, and never once thought that maybe POPFile wasn't being fed any messages. After all, Eudora was seeing the messages OK. To add to my embarrassment, I spent approximately 10 hours at my computer today trying to configure Eudora and POPFile with only minimal success. No matter how many variations of names, servers, and checked boxes I tried, I could never get any closer than the error: "550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication." I added one personality to my Dominant one, but not even sure I needed it, although that was the setup I had back before the repair of XP. I couldn't even make that work again, though. If I send you screenshots of my settings, are you willing to look them over to see if you can spot any problems?

• Message #2211

You can send the screenshots to me using the address "brian AT sugelan.co.uk" and I'll check your settings.

• Message #2207

Brian,

I set up 4 personalities trying to see how they work. For incoming mail, things seemed reasonable. I received the email, no matter which of the four sent it, and, if I remember correctly, POPFile even sorted it for me. But once I tried to send an email to one of the four, it sent it to all of them. I could suppress three of the four if I wanted to go into the personalities and change the configuration, but that pretty much eliminated any usefulness. Maybe I was doing it all wrong?

Still no word on that elusive X-Link . . .