Help → 2 POPfiles running?? AND why the Port 110 error>

2 POPfiles running?? AND why the Port 110 error>

Hi All: Just finished 'manual' install of POPfile V 1.0.0 on Mac OSX (10.4.11) PPC box.
Followed instructions on page:

POPfile on Mac OS X

this is the UNIX log from the "Test" procedure found there:
======================================================
jimb-s-power-mac-g4:/Library/POPfile jimb$ perl popfile.pl

POPFile Engine loading

{core: config history logger mq}
{classifier: bayes wordmangle}
{interface: html xmlrpc}
{proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
{services: imap}

POPFile Engine v1.0.0 starting

Initializing...

{interface: html xmlrpc}
{proxy: nntp pop3 smtp}
{services: imap}

Starting...

A copy of POPFile appears to be running.

Attempting to signal the previous copy.
Waiting 10 seconds for a reply.

The other POPFile (237) failed to signal back, starting new copy (259)

{interface: html}

Couldn't start the pop3 proxy because POPFile could not bind to the
listen port 110. This could be because there is another service
using that port or because you do not have the right privileges on
your system (On Unix systems this can happen if you are not root
and the port you specified is less than 1024).

Failed to start while starting the pop3 module at /POPFile/Loader.pm line 646.

{proxy:jimb-s-power-mac-g4:/Library/POPfile jimb$

======================================================

I tried it more than once
HENCE; the 'other' POPfile running? I sure don't see ANY process running (via Activity Monitor) that says another POPfile is running......

And.. how do I fix the Port 110 problem?

I use Eudora 6.2 and *assume* port 110 is the mail in port...I run in admin state but not 'root'.

All ideas & comments are welcom
Cheers, Jim B

• Message #220

And.. how do I fix the Port 110 problem?

The port 110 problem is responsible for the "A copy of POPFile appears to be running" message.

The port 110 message explains what you have to do.

You are not running POPFile as 'root' so you cannot use POPFile's default POP3 listening port setting of 110.

All you need to do is change this setting to a port higher than 1024 - the POPFile wiki suggests using port 1110 (see POPFile May Need Root and POPFile's Default Port Usage for example)

After you change POPFile's POP3 listening port you will also need to change your email program to make it use that port for the accounts you want to use with POPFile.

When POPFile starts running it creates a file called popfile.pid and updates this file every few seconds while it is running. Normally this file is deleted when POPFile shuts down but if something goes wrong this file will be left behind and the next time you start POPFile you will see that message.

If you read the message again you will see that it says "A copy of POPFile appears to be running". When POPFile realised that the popfile.pid file had been left behind by a copy that was no longer running it tried to start up and ran into the same port 110 problem that made POPFile stop abruptly, leaving behind that popfile.pid file again.

Brian

• Message #222

Thanks, Brian.

I've added some information about port settings to the document:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:macosx

Naoki

• Message #223

Hi Brian

The port 110 problem is responsible for the "A copy of POPFile appears to be running" message.

The port 110 message explains what you have to do.

You are not running POPFile as 'root' so you cannot use POPFile's default POP3 listening port setting of 110.

I am running Mac OS 10.5.4 (on an Intel iMac), and have POPFile V1.0.1 running using port 110. My user account is an administrator account, and am not running as root.

To start POPFile manually from an administrator account, and have it run properly you need to use the "sudo" command. If you use "perl popfile.pl", you get the port 110 message that is being discussed. With the "sudo perl popfile.pl" command, the user is prompted for their password and then POPFile will run properly.

I normally have POPFile start at boot, but just confirmed what happens when you try to manually start POPFile without and with "sudo".

John

• Message #224

Thanx Brian & John.... My POPfile V1.0.0 works fine w/ sudo. Since I am the only user I'll leave it on 110..
        John... You said that you start at boot (Startupitems). If you used the shell script from the howtos macosx, then did you change the line that reads:

perl popfile.pl > /dev/null 2>&1 &

fi

to: sudo perl popfile.pl > /dev/null 2>&1 &

fi

???
        OR, is that necessary?

AND, I am curious about the Item 6 on the howtos macosx Web page that lists the Startupitems as having a 'Resources" directory w/ two items. Wouldn't they come from a .DMG file IF there was a Mac-oriented install for POPfile? I did not see any .DMG on the download page...

Thanx again for your help... I'll run in manual mode for a bit to see how it works.

Cheers, Jim B

• Message #225

I am curious about the Item 6 on the howtos macosx Web page that lists the Startupitems as having a 'Resources" directory w/ two items. Wouldn't they come from a .DMG file IF there was a Mac-oriented install for POPfile? I did not see any .DMG on the download page...

That wiki page's title, "Using POPFile on Mac OS X Platforms (draft)", includes the text "(draft)" because it really refers to the next release of POPFile (1.1.0). At the top of the page it says:

POPFile v1.1.0 comes with the first official Mac OS X installer! You can now install POPFile on your Mac easily.
          Note: POPFile v1.1.0 is not released yet. Now we are testing it and have just released the first RC (release candidate). You can download it here.

You probably missed the reference to the fact that 1.1.0 has not been released yet - so we've added the "Note" since you first saw that page in an attempt to make its status clearer.

As you can see from our home page the first release candidate for the Mac OS X installer (POPFile-1.1.0RC0-macosx.dmg.gz) is now available if you'd like to help test it.

Brian
          p.s Thanks for the sudo information - I'm a Windows user so I'm not familiar with other platforms

• Message #226

Thanx Brian & John.... My POPfile V1.0.0 works fine w/ sudo. Since I am the only user I'll leave it on 110..
          John... You said that you start at boot (Startupitems). If you used the shell script from the howtos macosx, then did you change the line that reads:

perl popfile.pl > /dev/null 2>&1 &
          fi

to: sudo perl popfile.pl > /dev/null 2>&1 &
          fi
          ???
          OR, is that necessary?
          -----------------------

No, my startup item does not contain the "sudo" command. Either the "chown" or "chmod" commands that you issue after creating the folder and files make it unnecessary.

AND, I am curious about the Item 6 on the howtos macosx Web page that lists > the Startupitems as having a 'Resources" directory w/ two items. Wouldn't > they come from a .DMG file IF there was a Mac-oriented install for POPfile? > I did not see any .DMG on the download page...

The first release to have a Mac installer is 1.1.0 RC0, there is a link to it on the POPFile homepage. It comes as a gzip archive of a .DMG. The .DMG contains a package installer. I have not installed it yet, and am still using the cross-platform release of V1.0.1.

My startup item was created a few years ago following directions that were probably identical to the HowTos:MacOSX instructions. That worked for me on Mac OS 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3. I have not run 10.4 on any Mac, buying a new iMac earlier this year with 10.5 installed on it.

I expect those directions will work well for you on Mac OS 10.4. Mac OS 10.5 did require some changes, and somebody posted modifications in the Sourceforge forum that worked for me.

John

• Message #251

I treid to use Apple Mail (3 accts) to use popfile.pl . It works fine as long as an acct matches the POP_3 port (say 1110).
            BUT for the 3rd acct, it requires a "Secure Tunnel" connection to its Mail Server. And that server *requires* the use of Port 110.
            (That's why I put popfile.pl using port 1110; otherwise I got an error from the JAVA-run Tunnel program that port 110 was needed by the tunneier.)

What happens is when I get the tunnel App working I cannot get the data from their server.
            The Secure Tunnel App has a table displayed for use on port 110 and needs IP address 127.0.0.1 to access their mail server.
            The table displays as:
            Application name.... IP addr =127.0.0.1.... Port(s) are 110, 143, 25 on each of 3 lines

NOTE:( IT would be very nice to attach Screenshots (pdfs) to this forum!)

The error is:
            "The server error encountered was: POP user name "pop.infragard.org:jbabcock" unrecognized."
            The incoming mail server (client side) is "127.0.0.1" as in the instructions for use....

This is hard to describe... and I apologize.... I guess one cannot use such an App w popfile.pl

Any comments are most welcome/
            Jim B
            PS Sorry, I can't send the JAVA code...it is confidential

• Message #252

I treid to use Apple Mail (3 accts) to use popfile.pl . It works fine as long as an acct matches the POP_3 port (say 1110).
              BUT for the 3rd acct, it requires a "Secure Tunnel" connection to its Mail Server. And that server *requires* the use of Port 110.
              (That's why I put popfile.pl using port 1110; otherwise I got an error from the JAVA-run Tunnel program that port 110 was needed by the tunneier.)

What happens is when I get the tunnel App working I cannot get the data from their server.
              The Secure Tunnel App has a table displayed for use on port 110 and needs IP address 127.0.0.1 to access their mail server.
              The table displays as:
              Application name.... IP addr =127.0.0.1.... Port(s) are 110, 143, 25 on each of 3 lines

NOTE:( IT would be very nice to attach Screenshots (pdfs) to this forum!)

IF I use port 1110 for the tunneling acct

The error is:
              "The server error encountered was: POP user name "pop.infragard.org:jbabcock" unrecognized."
              The incoming mail server (client side) is "127.0.0.1" as in the instructions for use....

IF I use port 110 for the acct, I get:
              "The server error encountered was: The attempt to read data from server 127.0.0.1 failed."

This is hard to describe... and I apologize.... I guess one cannot use such an App w popfile.pl

Any comments are most welcome/
              Jim B
              PS Sorry, I can't send the JAVA code...it is confidential

• Message #254

This is hard to describe...

I think I understand your problem (but I might be wrong - I'm a Windows user).

You have configured Apple Mail to use POPFile for two ordinary POP3 accounts and have POPFile configured to use port 1110 as the POP3 listening port. This setup works properly.

You want to configure a third account but this account requires a Secure Tunnel connection and you have been unable to configure this account to work with POPFile.

For this third account the normal configuration in Apple Mail uses 127.0.0.1 and port 110 for the email server in order to use the Secure Tunnel:

Apple Mail -- port 110 -- Secure Tunnel -- internet -- mail server

In order to use POPFile with this account you need to do the following:

• Leave POPFile configured to use port 1110 as the POP3 listen port, so the two existing POPFile-enabled accounts will work

• In Apple Mail configure the third account to use 127.0.0.1 as the server and port 1110 as the POP3 port

• In Apple Mail configure the third account to use the username 127.0.0.1:110:username where "username" is whatever you normally use for that third account.

Using "127.0.0.1:110:username" for the username here tells POPFile to use 127.0.0.1 and port 110 to connect to the Secure Tunnel and then supply "username" as the username to log on:

Apple Mail -- port 1110 -- POPFile -- port 110 -- Secure Tunnel -- internet -- mail server

If the username you normally use for that Secure Tunnel account is pop.infragard.org:jbabcock then you need to change POPFile's separator character to % instead of : so you can use "127.0.0.1%110%pop.infragard.org:jbabcock" for this account (and this will mean you need to change : to % in the usernames for the other two POPFile-enabled accounts in Apple Mail).

Brian

• Message #257

Brian: I also tried the following in the User Name : (127.0.0.1:110:jbabcock) but got an error:

The server "pop.infragard.org" refused to allow a connection on port 110.

I guess that is obvious, though....
                Cheers, Jim B

• Message #256

Hi Brian: Your idea was good but....
                It fails using the % or the: separators.... I get all the way in to the server and
                get the following error report:

The server error encountered was: POP user name unrecognized

NOTE: I used (127.0.0.1%110%pop.infragard.org:jbabcock) as suggested.
                I * assume you meant the last COLON to be there btween the pop addr and the user name?

I tried the other two accounts with the % separator and they will only work with the COLONs.

I also tried your idea using ALL COLONs and that failed as well (same error).

As I reported to John, the NON POPfile approach for the 3rd acct works OK even if the first two are using POPfile...

Cheers, Jim B

• Message #258

* assume you meant the last COLON to be there btween the pop addr and the user name

Yes, that is what I meant (it might be wrong, but that is what I meant).

I tried the other two accounts with the % separator and they will only work with the COLONs

If you want to change that separator then you have to tell POPFile to use the new separator instead of the usual colon character.

On the CONFIGURATION page in the UI look for the "POP3" section and you will find the setting shown under the heading "POP3 host:port:user separator character". Change the character shown in the box from a colon to % then click the "Apply" button.

Now shutdown POPFile and restart it.

You should now be able to use % instead of a colon in the username for each of the three Apple Mail accounts.

There is nothing magic about using a % character here, I just chose that because that is what the POPFile wiki mentions. You could use # instead, if you prefer. The important thing is that you change the POPFile configuration to let POPFile know what separator character to look for in the username supplied by Apple Mail.

Brian

• Message #260

Jim, I'm confused now.

From what was said in message:251 I was under the impression that for the third account (the Secure Tunnel one) some changes had to be made to the mail server setting for that account in Apple Mail (I mean before you started trying to get POPFile involved).

But from message:255 it seems that the Secure Tunnel operates as a transparent proxy so nothing special needs to be done to get Apple Mail to use Secure Tunnel, i.e. the mail server and username set up in Apple Mail are the "real" values.

Am I right in thinking that in message:251 the references to configuration and screenshots refer to the Screen Tunnel App and not Apple Mail? And that the Secure Tunnel App runs completely separately from Apple Mail?

If I am right then the Secure Tunnel App works as a transparent proxy which has been configured to handle the third account as a special case and in Apple Mail all three accounts are normally (i.e. when POPFile is not used) configured to use port 110 and the real server and usernames.

If this is the case have you tried this configuration:

• configure the Secure Tunnel App as normal (i.e. as you do when POPFile is not used)
                    • set POPFile to use port 1110 as its POP3 listening port
                    • set the POPFile separator to the default of a single colon character
                    • Shutdown and restart POPFile to make sure it uses these settings
                    • after starting POPFile use the UI to check the POP3 listening port and separator are correct
                    • in Apple Mail set all three accounts to use server 127.0.0.1, port 1110 and set the user name to the normal POPFile-enabled value of mailserver:username (e.g. pop.example.com:myusername)

What happens now when you use Apple Mail?

Brian

• Message #253

I tried to use Apple Mail (3 accts) to use popfile.pl . It works fine as > long as an acct matches the POP_3 port (say 1110).
              BUT for the 3rd acct, it requires a "Secure Tunnel" connection to its Mail > Server. And that server *requires* the use of Port 110.

Have you had success using just Mail and the Tunnel program, bypassing POPFile only for that account? If so, what are the account settings that you use in Apple Mail to have it work?

John

• Message #255

John:

Using the tunnel program WITHOUT USING POPfile :

Incoming Mail Server: pop.infragard.org
                User name: jbabcock
                POP port 110
                (Password)

First I download the JAVA tunnel app ...... execute to prepare the tunnel.... then use Mail
                to "Get Mail"

Been working for 2+ years
                AND it works fine if POPfile is running and the other two accts are using POPfile.
                The "Get Mail" downloads msgs for all 3...

Cheers, JIM B

• Message #227

AND, I am curious about the Item 6 on the howtos macosx Web page that lists the Startupitems as having a 'Resources" directory w/ two items. Wouldn't they come from a .DMG file IF there was a Mac-oriented install for POPfile? I did not see any .DMG on the download page...

As Brian and John say, the official installer for POPFile has not been released yet.
          The testing installer contains the StartupItems? folder.

Naoki