Help → Popfile suddenly started falling over

Popfile suddenly started falling over

I've been running popfile for several years. Recently my PC motherboard died, so I invested in a new PC running Vista. I installed the latest stable release of popfile and got it working fine.

Today when I rebooted, I got some new updates (not sure what yet). Since then, I've been getting an error message from Vista saying that "popfile has stopped and that it's looking for possible solutions..." I thought it might have been an issue with running it from the task scheduler, but it happens even when starting it by hand. I've looked at the logfile, but there doesn't seem to be anything unusual in it.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas what to look for in Vista?

• Message #236

Any ideas what to look for ...

If POPFile is shutting down expectedly it might be generating some console messages which give the reason for the shutdown. Normally these messages are hidden. If you shutdown POPFile and then use the Message Capture utility to run POPFile then you'll be able to see (and save) these console messages:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

I've looked at the logfile, but there doesn't seem to be anything unusual in it

By default the logger_level is set to 0 which means POPFile's logfile does not contain a lot of detail. You can use the ADVANCED page in the UI to increase the amount of detail: change the logger_level to 1 or 2 and click the "Update" button to save this configuration change.

Be warned that at level 2 the logfile will contain a lot of detail, including the full text of every email message POPFile processes. I suggest you try using logger_level set to 1 at first - these logfiles are easier to read.

The Windows version of POPFile comes with a diagnostic program which checks your installation:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (full)

If you post the report here it might have some clues for me.

Brian

• Message #237

Thanks brian. I've upped the logging to 1 and started the message capture utility. It seemed to think a previous copy was running, though there was nothing in the task manager. Anyway it started popfileif OK and is now in progress.

I ran the PFI programme, and the log is below

------------------------------------------------------------
    POPFile PFI Diagnostic Utility v0.1.11 (full mode)
    String data report format (not used for numeric data)

string not found              :  ><
    empty string found            :  <  >
    string with 'xyz' value found :  < xyz >

Current UserName  = Charlie (User)

IsNT return code  = 1
    Internet Explorer = 7.0

Location used to store temporary files

$TEMP folder path = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp >

Start Menu Locations

AU: $SMPROGRAMS   = < C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
    AU: $SMSTARTUP    = < C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "AU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

*.lnk files found = 1
    POPFile shortcuts = 0

CU: $SMPROGRAMS   = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs >
    CU: $SMSTARTUP    = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup >

Search results for the "CU: $SMSTARTUP" folder:

*.lnk files found = 0
    POPFile shortcuts = 0

Obsolete/testbed Registry Entries

[1] Pre-0.21 Data:

Pre-0.21 POPFile  = ><
    Pre-0.21 Testbed  = ><

[2] 0.21 Test Installer Data:

HKLM: RootDir_LFN = ><
    HKLM: RootDir_SFN = ><

HKCU: RootDir_LFN = ><
    HKCU: RootDir_SFN = ><
    HKCU: UserDir_LFN = ><
    HKCU: UserDir_SFN = ><

[3] Current PFI Testbed Data:

MRI PFI Testbed   = ><
    MRI PFI Testdata  = ><

POPFile Registry Data

NTFS SFN Disabled = < 0 >

HKLM: MRI Version = < 1.0.1 >

HKLM: NewParser   = ><

HKLM: InstallPath = < C:\Program Files\POPFile >
    HKLM: RootDir_LFN = < C:\Program Files\POPFile >
    HKLM: RootDir_SFN = < C:\PROGRA~1\POPFile >

HKCU: Data Owner  = < Charlie >
    HKCU: MRI Version = < 1.0.1 >
    HKCU: RootDir_LFN = < C:\Program Files\POPFile >
    HKCU: RootDir_SFN = < C:\PROGRA~1\POPFile >

HKCU: UserDir_LFN = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile >
    HKCU: UserDir_SFN = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile >

HKCU: popfile.pl  = found
    HKCU: popfile.cfg = found

POPFile Environment Variables

'POPFILE_ROOT'    = < C:\PROGRA~1\POPFile >
    'POPFILE_USER'    = < C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile >

Env: popfile.pl   = found
    Env: popfile.cfg  = found

'ITAIJIDICTPATH'  = ><   (this is OK)
    'KANWADICTPATH'   = ><   (this is OK)

'MECABRC'         = ><   (this is OK)

(report created 10-Jul-2008 @ 14:18:56)

Thanks again,
    YJ

• Message #238

It seemed to think a previous copy was running, though there was nothing in the task manager

When POPFile starts running it creates a file called popfile.pid and then updates this file every few seconds while it is running. Normally this file is deleted when POPFile shuts down but if something goes wrong this file will be left behind and the next time you start POPFile you will see the message saying "A copy of POPFile appears to be running". After a short delay POPFile will realise that the popfile.pid file had been left behind by a copy that is no longer running.

I ran the PFI programme

Thanks for the log. Everything looks OK there.

It might be worth checking your database. Shutdown POPFile then run

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Check database status

Brian

• Message #240

Thanks again for taking the time to talk me through this...

When POPFile starts running it creates a file called popfile.pid and then updates this file every few seconds while it is running. Normally this file is deleted when POPFile shuts down but if something goes wrong this file will be left behind and the next time you start POPFile you will see the message saying "A copy of POPFile appears to be running". After a short delay POPFile will realise that the popfile.pid file had been left behind by a copy that is no longer running.

Ah, that would explain it.

The Message Capture Popfile just stopped again as I came out of the screensaver.

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.8
        POPFILE_ROOT = C:\PROGRA~1\POPFile
        POPFILE_USER = C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile
        Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile
        (report started 10-Jul-2008 @ 14:04:17)

POPFile Engine loading

{core: windows}
                 {core: config history logger mq} 
                 {classifier: bayes wordmangle} 
                 {interface: html} 
                 {proxy: pop3 smtp} 
                 {services: imap} 

POPFile Engine v1.0.1 starting

Initializing... 
                 {core: config history logger mq windows} 
                 {proxy: pop3 smtp} 
                 {services: imap

A copy of POPFile appears to be running.
         Attempting to signal the previous copy.
         Waiting 10 seconds for a reply.

The other POPFile (5688) failed to signal back, starting new copy (5972)
        } 

Starting...     
                 {core: config history logger mq windows} 
                 {proxy: pop3} 
                 {services:} 

POPFile Engine v1.0.1 running

Status code: 255
        (report finished 10-Jul-2008 @ 18:58:52)

I've had a look at the logfile, but there are no obvious errors. The last entry was some 4 hours age. Of course it could have stopped any time since then...

I ran the database check:

POPFile SQLite Database Status Check (integrated) v0.1.8

Current user  : Charlie
        Current folder: C:\Program Files\POPFile
        Command line  : /REGISTRY

Trying to find database using registry data (HKCU)... found it!

POPFile database found (C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile\popfile.db)

SQLite v2.8.17 utility found in C:\Program Files\POPFile

Database is in SQLite 2.x format, uses schema version 3 and its size is 14,078 KB

Result of running the 'pragma integrity_check;' command:
        ok

The POPFile database has passed the SQLite integrity check!

(report finished 10-Jul-2008 @ 19:06:00)

Any thoughts?

• Message #241

The Message Capture Popfile just stopped again as I came out of the screensaver

The report shows that POPFile came to an abrupt end with the return code set to 255. No doubt the "255" value is significant but I don't have a clue what it means (usually a crash will return a very large number instead of the normal value of 0).

However I think your comment saying "as I came out of the screensaver" might be significant since the Message Capture report shows that you are using POPFile's system tray icon.

The system tray icon is known to cause problems on some systems and there is a suspicion that the problem is connected with some display drivers. I suggest disabling the system tray icon and seeing if that makes POPFile more reliable on your system.

You can use the CONFIGURATION page in the UI to disable the system tray icon - look for the "Show POPFile icon in Windows system tray" section and click the "Change to No" button. You will need to shutdown and restart POPFile for this change to take effect.

Without the system tray icon you can still use the Start Menu to access the UI and shutdown POPFile.

For the next release (1.1.0) the system tray icon code has been rewritten and we think/hope this will fix the problem. The first release candidate has just been made available so POPFile 1.1.0 should appear later this month.

I've had a look at the logfile, but there are no obvious errors. The last entry was some 4 hours age. Of course it could have stopped any time since then...

The Message Capture report shows that POPFile stopped just before 18:58:52 on 10 July so you should be able to tell if it was doing any email processing at that time by checking the timestamps on the log entries.

The Message Capture report started at 14:04:17 so I am a bit puzzled by your comment about the last entry in the log being about 4 hours old because the Message Capture report shows that POPFile ran for over 4 hours, until 18:58 or so. Did you check for email during that run of POPFile?

The SQLite database status report shows nothing wrong and your database is not enormous, so I don't think we can blame the database.

Brian

• Message #242

Thanks yet again.

I had noticed the comment about the tray icon ages ago, but forgot about it as I wasn't having a problem with it. Of course a new OS will change things. I've turned it off now. To be honest, it has also stopped without the screensaver starting, but without any obvious pattern that I can see. I've tried looking at the events within Vista to see if there's anything happening when it stops, but am not having much luck...

I saw the latest Release Candidate when I was looking for a solution to the crashes: I'd be happy-ish to try that if you think it would help.

I've got Outlook to check for mail every hour, so it should have used popfile several times after 14:58, but there's no log of it. I came out of screensaver at 18:58, so I guess that's when the Message Capture finished. However, the last log entry was several hours before. Here's the end of the previous and start of the latest:

2008/7/10 14:28:01 5972: mq: 258: Done with -4356 (0 to go)
            2008/7/10 14:28:07 5972: bayes: 486: Reclassification from unclassified to lists
            2008/7/10 14:28:07 5972: history: 404: Change slot classification of 2933 to lists
            2008/7/10 14:38:09 5972: bayes: 486: Reclassification from unclassified to personal
            2008/7/10 14:38:09 5972: history: 404: Change slot classification of 2808 to personal
            2008/7/10 14:58:36 -5308: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile/popfile.db (1)
            2008/7/10 14:58:36 -5308: bayes: 753: Using SQLite library version 2.8.15
            2008/7/10 14:58:36 -5308: pop3: 301: +OK POP3 POPFile (v1.0.1) server ready[0d][0a]
            2008/7/10 19:08:25 5092: -----------------------
            2008/7/10 19:08:25 5092: POPFile v1.0.1 starting
            2008/7/10 19:08:26 5092: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Roaming\POPFile/popfile.db (1)

• Message #243

I came out of screensaver at 18:58, so I guess that's when the Message Capture finished

The Message Capture report only finishes when POPFile terminates.

The Message Capture utility starts up POPFile just like you would normally but (in effect) it temporarily uses the "Run POPFile in a console window" option so it can display the console messages. Then the Message Capture utility just sits there displaying the console messages in its scrollable window until the POPFile program either shuts down or crashes. When the utility detects that the POPFile program is no longer running it adds the "status code" and "report finished" lines to the report.

I've got Outlook to check for mail every hour, so it should have used popfile several times after 14:58, but there's no log of it. I came out of screensaver at 18:58, so I guess that's when the Message Capture finished. However, the last log entry was several hours before.

Thanks for the log fragment - it was a great help. I think I may have an answer!

Looking back at your very first message I now see that you said "so I invested in a new PC running Vista". When you refer to the screensaver do you mean that the screen goes blank until you press a key?

If so then I think your problem is that you have left Vista running and gone off and done something else, safe in the knowledge that your email will be checked once an hour so you can come back anytime and check if any new mail has arrived.

What I think is happening is that Vista notices that you are no longer using the PC so after a while it puts it to sleep to save energy. You can find out more about Vista's "sleep" mode by using the HELP feature. Here is a short extract to whet your appetite:

Sleep is a power-saving state. Sleep saves all open documents and programs, and allows the computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer to sleep is like pausing a DVD player: the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

To put your computer to sleep, click the Power button on the Start menu.

You may be able to put some computers to sleep by pressing a sleep button or by closing the lid on a mobile PC.

Notes
              While your computer is asleep, its hardware lights may slowly flash or change color. To learn more, check the documentation that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

Your computer may automatically go to sleep after a period of inactivity.

This would explain why the log file has nothing after 14:58:36 until you re-started POPFile at 19:08 yet the Message Capture utility did not detect that POPFile had stopped until 18:58 (four hours after the last log entry even though the email program should have been checking once an hour).

Vista put the PC into sleep mode sometime after 14:58 and when you touched a key or moved the mouse to wake up the PC POPFile failed to resume and it was only then that the Message Capture utility detected that POPFile had stopped running.

My Vista PC goes to sleep after about 40 minutes of inactivity and it then flashes the power light every second to let me know it has gone to sleep and needs to be woken up before I can use it again.

Brian
              (edited to correct a spelling mistake)

• Message #244

Thanks for that Brian

The excellent news is that popfile is still running after 10 1/2 hours, so I think you've identified the problem.

I do have the Google Pictures screensaver kick in after 10 minutes, followed by sleep after an hour or so. I set it up when I first got the machine. It should use hybrid sleep, so that it shouldn't lose anything in the event of failure.

Looking at the logfile, there are no entries after about 1:00 am, but in the UI history there are messages (mostly spam!) all through the night, the most recent being 10 minutes ago (7:40am). So it looks like the logfile isn't flushed to disk, or notepad can't read the last part of the file for some reason.

I'm not sure how much activity can go on in sleep mode, but I have had activity through the night. Maybe this means the PC isn't actually sleeping at all, despite me setting it up...

Thanks again for all your help,
                YJ

• Message #245

The excellent news is that popfile is still running after 10 1/2 hours

Glad to hear that things are working for you now!

So it looks like the logfile isn't flushed to disk, or notepad can't read the last part of the file for some reason.

I would not be surprised to hear that there is a limit to the size of file that the Windows notepad can use - I use a free replacement program instead of notepad.

There is a link on the CONFIGURATION page in the UI which lets you view the current log file and you can also open the log file in your browser.

POPFile's log files have names like popfile1215648000.log and are stored in the same folder as the POPFile User Data. The ADVANCED page in the UI shows the path to the POPFile User Data folder using the SFN format (at the top of the long list of parameters) and there is a shortcut which will show the path in an easier to read format:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (simple)

Brian

• Message #396

I've installed Popfile about a week ago on XP SP3 Home Ed but it falls over once or twice a day or so. It's set to allow multiple simultaneous connections because there are Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on the same machine and because Outlook 2000 will need to check several pop accounts (it's not doing it yet). Outlook is actively all the time, while Outlook Express is started and stopped from time to time. This somehow weird arrangement is temporary because one computer disk has crashed so Outlook is temporary moved to a machine the normally uses Outlook express.

Having read some of these posts, I've set the logging level to 1. Here is the ending of the three last logfiles:

Log1:
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK POP3 POPFile (v1.0.1) server ready[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 512: Attempting to connect to POP server at 66.84.44.99:110
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 521: Connected to 66.84.44.99:110 timeout 60
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 559: Connection returned: +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.8, modified by Sphera Technologies) at skovgaard.org starting. <[email protected]>[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 301: USER XXXXXX
    2008/9/7 01:59:45 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK Password required for finn.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:46 -2300: pop3: 301: PASS XXXXXX
    2008/9/7 01:59:46 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK finn has 2 visible messages (0 hidden) in 4302 octets.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:46 -2300: pop3: 301: STAT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:47 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK 2 4302[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:47 -2300: pop3: 301: UIDL[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:47 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK uidl command accepted.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:48 -2300: pop3: 301: RETR 1[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:48 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK 2516 octets[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:49 -2300: pop3: 301: RETR 2[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:49 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK 1786 octets[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:49 -2300: pop3: 301: DELE 1[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:49 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK Message 1 has been deleted.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:50 -2300: pop3: 301: DELE 2[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:50 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK Message 2 has been deleted.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:50 -2300: pop3: 301: QUIT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:51 -2300: pop3: 301: +OK Pop server at skovgaard.org signing off.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/7 01:59:51 -2300: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done
    2008/9/7 01:59:51 1228: mq: 258: Done with -2300 (0 to go)

Log2:
    2008/9/8 01:58:58 -1568: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done
    2008/9/8 01:58:59 1228: mq: 258: Done with -1568 (0 to go)
    2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\DOCUME~1\Coco\APPLIC~1\POPFile/popfile.db (1)
    2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: bayes: 753: Using SQLite library version 2.8.15
    2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: pop3: 301: +OK POP3 POPFile (v1.0.1) server ready[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: pop3: 512: Attempting to connect to POP server at 66.84.44.99:110
    2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: pop3: 521: Connected to 66.84.44.99:110 timeout 60
    2008/9/8 02:00:00 -2240: pop3: 559: Connection returned: +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.8, modified by Sphera Technologies) at skovgaard.org starting. <[email protected]>[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:00 -2240: pop3: 301: USER XXXXXX
    2008/9/8 02:00:00 -2240: pop3: 301: +OK Password required for finn.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:00 -2240: pop3: 301: PASS XXXXXX
    2008/9/8 02:00:01 -2240: pop3: 301: +OK finn has 0 visible messages (0 hidden) in 0 octets.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:01 -2240: pop3: 301: STAT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:02 -2240: pop3: 301: +OK 0 0[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:02 -2240: pop3: 301: QUIT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:02 -2240: pop3: 301: +OK Pop server at skovgaard.org signing off.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 02:00:02 -2240: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done

Log3:
    2008/9/8 13:15:59 -3608: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done
    2008/9/8 13:15:59 1228: mq: 258: Done with -3608 (0 to go)
    2008/9/8 13:16:59 -1276: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\DOCUME~1\Coco\APPLIC~1\POPFile/popfile.db (1)
    2008/9/8 13:16:59 -1276: bayes: 753: Using SQLite library version 2.8.15
    2008/9/8 13:17:00 -1276: pop3: 301: +OK POP3 POPFile (v1.0.1) server ready[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:00 -1276: pop3: 512: Attempting to connect to POP server at 66.84.44.99:110
    2008/9/8 13:17:00 -1276: pop3: 521: Connected to 66.84.44.99:110 timeout 60
    2008/9/8 13:17:00 -1276: pop3: 559: Connection returned: +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.8, modified by Sphera Technologies) at skovgaard.org starting. <[email protected]>[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:00 -1276: pop3: 301: USER XXXXXX
    2008/9/8 13:17:01 -1276: pop3: 301: +OK Password required for finn.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:01 -1276: pop3: 301: PASS XXXXXX
    2008/9/8 13:17:02 -1276: pop3: 301: +OK finn has 0 visible messages (0 hidden) in 0 octets.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:02 -1276: pop3: 301: STAT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:03 -1276: pop3: 301: +OK 0 0[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:03 -1276: pop3: 301: QUIT[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:03 -1276: pop3: 301: +OK Pop server at skovgaard.org signing off.[0d][0a]
    2008/9/8 13:17:03 -1276: pop3: 668: POP3 proxy done
    2008/9/8 13:17:06 1228: mq: 258: Done with -1276 (0 to go)

Can anyone see what is going on? I don't see any error messages. Popfile just crashes. It often happens while I'm going through message lists in the control centre (quite annoying actually, having ticked to reclassify a few e-mails in a list of 400 and then it crashes underneath).

• Message #398

If POPFile is shutting down expectedly it might be generating some console messages which give the reason for the shutdown. Normally these messages are hidden. If you shutdown POPFile and then use the Message Capture utility to run POPFile then you'll be able to see (and save) these console messages:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- Message Capture utility

This shortcut runs POPFile in a special mode where extra messages appear in a scrollable window.

As for your three extracts from the log file, are you saying that POPFile crashed after the "POP3 proxy done" entry in each case?

At first glance the log file extracts don't show anything out of the ordinary. If you set the log level to 2 then the log file will contain the entire text of every message processed plus more information. Although this makes it harder to understand the lof file, it should help identify if the problem occurs when processing a message or if it happens elsewhere.

The Message Capture utility will record the time at which POPFile crashes so it should be easy to find the relevant part of the log file.

Brian

• Message #399

All the log file extracts show the last lines of each log. The small window for the message capture utility itself didn't say anything unusual.

I'll try level 2 since level 1 doesn't give us anything useful.

• Message #400

I touched Global_Debug by accident and set it back to 1 as I think it was. Is this parameter needed for this debugging? Logger_level is now 2.

• Message #405

I touched Global_Debug by accident and set it back to 1 as I think it was.

If any of the parameters have been changed from their default values the UI will display the parameter name in bold text (as explained in the text at the top of the parameter list in the UI).

The default setting for GLOBAL_debug is 1 so GLOBAL_debug should not be shown as GLOBAL_debug in the UI if you have reset it to 1.

The POPFile Command Line and Advanced Options page in the wiki has a brief description and the default values for these parameters. There is a link to that wiki page in the text at the top of the parameter list in the UI (look for the OptionReference link).

The small window for the message capture utility itself didn't say anything unusual.

The Message Capture utility's report would be useful as it shows some information about your configuration (and therefore saves me having to ask lots of questions about it). The installer also installs a small diagnostic utility and its report might help too:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- Support -- PFI Diagnostic utility (full)

The Message Capture utility will report the date and time when the POPFile program terminates. If the problem occurs and the utility does NOT show this message then it would appear that the POPFile program is still running.

Brian

• Message #412

<snip>
      It's set to allow multiple simultaneous connections because there are Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on the same machine and because Outlook 2000 will need to check several pop accounts (it's not doing it yet).
      <snip>
      Can anyone see what is going on? I don't see any error messages. Popfile just crashes. It often happens while I'm going through message lists in the control centre (quite annoying actually, having ticked to reclassify a few e-mails in a list of 400 and then it crashes underneath).

If the concurrent POP3 connections is on, POPFile sometimes crashes
      when you access to the Control Center while the mail client is connecting
      to the POPFile's POP3 proxy.

I know the problem still exists, but currently I don't have any clues
      to solve it.

Here's my old report:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1850672&group_id=63137&atid=502956

The only workaround is to turn off the concurrent POP3 connections.

2008/9/8 01:58:59 1228: mq: 258: Done with -1568 (0 to go)
      2008/9/8 01:59:59 -2240: bayes: 747: Attempting to connect to dbi:SQLite2:dbname=C:\DOCUME~1\Coco\APPLIC~1\POPFile/popfile.db (1)

It seems that your mail client is checking new e-mail every one minute.
      If you change the period to longer, POPFile won't crash so often.

Naoki

• Message #414

So I may have to reconsider if Popfile can fulfil the role of spam filter here, as I have 4-5 pop accounts to check on a permanent basis and I understand that if I don't set it to concurrent connections, I may get timeout or other errors. Only the second computer has just one pop account.

It seems that your mail client is checking new e-mail every one minute.

If you change the period to longer, POPFile won't crash so often.

Well, I need them checked every minute at certain times so checking less often is not an option, and changing the interval all the time is a circus.

It looks like I'll have to find another spam filter for the primary computer. :-(

Thanks for the comments anyway. At least I know why it crashes.

• Message #415

I've forgotten to mention that this is a problem of the Windows version.
          Your another option is to run POPFile on Linux box.

Naoki

• Message #419

Yes, well, but I'm just an ordinary computer user with Windows, not a computing centre. I probably don't know much more about Linux than you know about speaking Chinese. All I need is a spam filter for Windows, not a technical research centre, so if it doesn't work in such an environment, it'll just have to be replaced. If you have a problem with an electric socket in your house, you presumably replace it rather than tearing down the house and building another to match the socket :-) Something else is I'd like eventually to get rid of all Microsoft 'malware', bloatware or whatever one should call it.

• Message #422

There are more and more "ordinary computer users" on Linux these days. But of course, changing your OS just to keep using POPFile is a bit over the top. But have you thought about accessing just one mail account with the others simply forwarding to that one?

• Message #423

I already forward e-mails on the same domain to just one pop account that I download. But there are 3 other pop accounts to download from different ISPs and e-mail facilities. I'm not sure if all of them allows forwarding, but again it starts getting messy, and one of the purposes of having more than one pop facility is to be able to use e-mail during temporary downtime on any one pop server.

Btw, I have a crash on logging level 2 now. I just realised that it seems it reuses the same logfile for the day, so the other logfile ending I have attached may not show the crash. I just thought it would open a new logfile for each session. So in this logfile, how do I identify the crash moment?