Help → trying to get Popfile 0.22.5 to talk to Gmail via SSL

trying to get Popfile 0.22.5 to talk to Gmail via SSL

I use a Mail Client called Virtual Access which others have gotten to talk SSL by using stunnel. Since I already had PopFile? and it's been working fine for me I used PopFile? setup and installed the SSL patches. Then I made the required changes for the port number to be used and added the :ssl to my POP3 and SMTP settings. My inbound (POP3) is working great but I cannot get any outbounds to go. I originally had my PopFile? set so that SMTP was disabled and my Virtual Access handled the connection to the SMTP server with the server name, my id and password and port 25. Virtual Access won't do SSL so I pointed the server setting to Local Host and changed the VA user name to:

smtp.gmail.com:GmailPort:mylogin:ssl

and then changed the smtp port in Virtual Access to 1733. Then I changed PopFile? so that SMTP was enabled with the port looking at 1733. Essentially the same type config you use for POP3 between the client and PopFile?.

As I say the Pop3 is working but I get an error when attempting SMTP.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing or doing wrong.

bk

• Message #302

Hi bk

As I say the Pop3 is working but I get an error when attempting SMTP.

You cannot use the SMTP proxy module for outgoing e-mails.
    The module is for incoming mail and it is placed between two SMTP servers.

For more information about this module, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:smtpproxy

Naoki

• Message #304

thanks Naoki. I see that in the notes on that document now that it is only for incoming. Darn - guess I'll look at stunnel and see what I can do.

thanks again

bk