Help → Vista 64 Problem

Vista 64 Problem

Today I reinstalled, moving from Vista Business x32 to the x64 version.

Trying to view the PopFile? UI brings up "Page cannot be displayed". I don't see PopFile? in the list of running services.

Any thoughts?

• Message #19

I have no idea whether POPFile is able to run on a 64 bit Vista. But let's see.

Did you already try the Message Capture utility? You can find instructions here: http://getpopfile.org/docs/howtos:messagecapture?s=capture

• Message #20

Thanks, I ran that and it looks like it's running. So I setup my Outlook account to try using it and it looks like it's operating, but the Popfile UI is still bringing up "Page cannot be displayed"

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.6

POPFILE_ROOT = D:\POPFile
      POPFILE_USER = Z:\POPFile
      Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile

(report started 12-Feb-2008 @ 00:26:47)

POPFile Engine loading

{core: windows}
      {core: config history logger mq}
      {classifier: bayes wordmangle}
      {interface: html}
      {proxy: pop3}
      {services:}

POPFile Engine v1.0.0 starting

Initializing...

{core: config history logger mq windows}

Starting...

{core: config history logger mq windows}

POPFile Engine v1.0.0 running

• Message #21

Strange. What is the exact URL you are trying to access to get to the POPFile UI?

• Message #23

Well, it looks like 127.0.0.1:8080 is working. The tray icon was trying localhost which doesn't seem to work, even though my Hosts file has it mapped to 127.0.0.1.

I've tried it with the firewall off, so I know that's not blocking it but there may be some other IE security setting.

I guess it doesn't really matter now that I know I can get to the UI. Is there a place to change the tray icon so that it uses the IP instead of localhost?

Thanks very much for the help btw!

• Message #24

Is there a place to change the tray icon so that it uses the IP instead of localhost?

I'm afraid not, 'localhost' is hard-coded into the program. Have you tried the Start Menu's "POPFile User Interface" shortcut:

Start -- All Programs -- POPFile -- POPFile User Interface

It also refers to localhost so it might not work either.

• Message #25

If the Start Menu's "POPFile User Interface" shortcut does not work, try changing it to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

It is simply an Internet shortcut so it is easy to change (right-click, Properties).

If it still does not work then the problem is a Windows one, not a POPFile one. Something has gone wrong with the file association for Internet shortcuts (*.url files).

• Message #22

We also have some UI connection troubleshooting tips in the wiki.

• Message #26

So in fixing a problem with getting debugging to work with Visual Studio I found something that fixed the Popfile problem also.

If you turn off IPv6 in Vista then the localhost:8080 will start working as expected. Here's a link to how to do this (registry key addition):

http://rbazinet.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/aspnet-development-server-problems-under-vista/

• Message #27

If you turn off IPv6 in Vista then the localhost:8080 will start working as expected.

Wow. That sucks. Thanks for letting us know. I'll add that to the trouble shooting tips on the wik.