Open Discussion → Is popfile dead?

Is popfile dead?

I finally had to uninstall Popfile today. (Gentoo linux) Not being able to use TLS is a minor issue. However, my email software (Balsa) can now do multiple POP3 fetches in parallel, and it seems Popfile cannot handle this, and somehow mixes the different fetch streams.

At least I was able to recover my password (no idea why the old one stopped working) and submit this forum post, but it's been a long time since there has been any activity on the site.

Is there any realistic hope of renewed activity here? I really hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for any feedback, one way or the other.

Jack

• Message #2200

my email software (Balsa) can now do multiple POP3 fetches in parallel, and it seems Popfile cannot handle this, and somehow mixes the different fetch streams.

Many years ago I used the Windows version of Eudora which did multiple POP3 fetches in parallel and I never had any trouble with that. Have you enabled concurrent POP3 connections in POPFile's User Interface ~ the setting is in the "POP3" section of the "Configuration" tab. You may need to restart POPFile for this change to take effect.

it's been a long time since there has been any activity on the site.

POPFile is not dead yet, it has just been "resting".

My Windows 10 Update and internet connection problems gradually got so bad I had to spend a lot of time to identify the problem. It was only when my connection starting dropping out soon after midnight every night that I discovered that my firewall was to blame.

I had to try three different replacements before I found a firewall with the features I require. Now that my internet connection is stable and Windows 10 Updates no longer take many hours to download and install I can spend some time on POPFile.

The Windows version of POPFile 1.1.4 will be based upon Perl 5.16.3 because I've already done most of the work for the minimal Perl.

Sadly, ActiveState discontinued their Perl Dev Kit (PDK) last year and the most recent Windows version of Perl that can be used with PDK 9.5.1 (the final PDK release) is ActivePerl 5.22.2 Build 2202 released in July 2016.

ActivePerl has been updated a lot since then (the 7 free versions currently available range from 5.22.3.2204 to 5.26.1.2601). The PDK is used to build popfile-service.exe, the Windows Service for POPFile, which means it is no longer possible to build an up-to-date version of popfile-service.exe using the PDK.

There are some changes to SSL handling in POPFile 1.1.4 but at the moment I cannot remember what they are so I don't know if they will solve your TLS problem.

Brian

(edited to fix the ActiveState and ActivePerl references)