Open Discussion → couple questions on the move to getpopfile.org

couple questions on the move to getpopfile.org

with the move to getpopfile.org in process or possibly completed (I'm not sure) I am curious about my current setup. Previously in the SourceForge? days I could post to the forums via SourceForge? and would receive any other posts as emails with a link back to SourceForge? if I wanted to add another post to that post. Is that still possible with the new site? I don't know anythig abut RSS feeds but it seems that is the only option and when I click on it - it wants to download a file. I really prefer the old SourceForge? or a Mailing list type setup - possibly due to ignorance on RSS feeds.

Also because of the changes I made to the news proxy - NNTP.pm for better handling of HEAD and BODY logic like the TOP logic in POP.pm which never got adopted into the live version I have kept my own cvs copy of Popfile for tracking changes where I need to change my nntp.pm. Is the SourceForge? version being updated as I don't seem to see a lot of code update come down or is there somewhere on the new site we go to get a CVS or SVN update?

Thanks for a great product and can't wait to try the new version 1 but I have to make sure my nntp is current first.

bk

• Message #231

with the move to getpopfile.org in process or possibly completed (I'm not sure)

The move has more or less been completed. There are still some outstanding SourceForge Tracker items to be sorted out and then I think a formal announcement will be made.

Previously in the SourceForge days I could post to the forums via SourceForge and would receive any other posts as emails with a link back to SourceForge if I wanted to add another post to that post. Is that still possible with the new site?

Manni can give the definitive answers to your questions about how the new site works but I'll try my best now in case he's not around at the moment ...

Yes, that is how the new site works. If you post a message then you'll automatically receive email messages showing any subsequent posts to that particular topic. For example, you should get an email containing this reply :-)

I don't know anything abut RSS feeds but it seems that is the only option and when I click on it - it wants to download a file.

Like you, this site was the first time I tried to use RSS. My default browser is Opera and I remember being asked if I wanted to save the file when I clicked the RSS icon - I think I chose the "open" option and Opera then showed me a page of gobbledygook ... but the RSS subscription part worked OK and an entry appeared under Opera's "Feeds" menu.

It works quite well but to be honest I would prefer the SourceForge-style where I get sent a message as soon as someone posts a message instead of only getting the message when Opera checks the RSS feed. On dial-up you'd need to set the RSS feed update rate to something a lot more frequent than Opera's default of once every three hours otherwise you'd never get anything via RSS!

the changes I made to the news proxy ... never got adopted into the live version

I don't know why that happened. However as part of the transfer to the new site we're going through the SourceForge Tracker items and many of them have been actioned. Perhaps you'll have more luck this time? I think several things got forgotten about ... for example a bug I reported way back in 2003 has been fixed for the 1.1.0 release (an RC0 candidate has just been made available, as mentioned on our home page).

Is the SourceForge version being updated as I don't seem to see a lot of code update come down or is there somewhere on the new site we go to get a CVS or SVN update?

We've stopped using CVS on SourceForge and are now using SVN on this site. The Browse Source link at the top of this page will let you browse the source, just like the CVS browser did on SourceForge. The code for the forthcoming 1.1.0 release can be browsed here

I've not tried setting up anonymous access to SVN so I am not sure if that part is working yet.

Brian

• Message #269

Previously in the SourceForge days I could post to the forums via SourceForge and would receive any other posts as emails with a link back to SourceForge if I wanted to add another post to that post. Is that still possible with the new site?

Manni can give the definitive answers to your questions about how the new site works but I'll try my best now in case he's not around at the moment ...

You're quite right. I wasn't around. But now I'm back from my vacation.

Yes, that is how the new site works. If you post a message then you'll automatically receive email messages showing any subsequent posts to that particular topic. For example, you should get an email containing this reply :-)

I don't know anything abut RSS feeds but it seems that is the only option and when I click on it - it wants to download a file.

Like you, this site was the first time I tried to use RSS. My default browser is Opera and I remember being asked if I wanted to save the file when I clicked the RSS icon - I think I chose the "open" option and Opera then showed me a page of gobbledygook ... but the RSS subscription part worked OK and an entry appeared under Opera's "Feeds" menu.

It works quite well but to be honest I would prefer the SourceForge-style where I get sent a message as soon as someone posts a message instead of only getting the message when Opera checks the RSS feed. On dial-up you'd need to set the RSS feed update rate to something a lot more frequent than Opera's default of once every three hours otherwise you'd never get anything via RSS!

I know how you feel. The forum software has the option to always send an email to a specific address whenever a message is posted in any of our forums. I could provide the address of a mailing list and people could then sign up for the mailing list and get an email whenever anything is posted.

If this seems the right way to go for you, I'd be happy to set up the mailing list and a little page on the wiki explaining how to get your address on the list. I like RSS feeds, but I don't think they are the answer to any problem that has a little web-2.0-touch.

• Message #270

I know how you feel. The forum software has the option to always send an email to a specific address whenever a message is posted in any of our forums. I could provide the address of a mailing list and people could then sign up for the mailing list and get an email whenever anything is posted.

If this seems the right way to go for you, I'd be happy to set up the mailing list and a little page on the wiki explaining how to get your address on the list.

That would be great - I would love that.

bk

• Message #232

I've not tried setting up anonymous access to SVN so I am not sure if that part is working yet.

I forgot to mention that another way to get the current source is to download the relevant tarball from the link on the download page.

These tarballs are updated every two hours from the Subversion repository. To get the current 1.x code use the 0_22_2 branch tarball.

Brian

• Message #234

Thanks. That will work.

• Message #239

It works - there were two problems I had to "overcome":

• I did not know what I was doing
        • I did not bother to RTFM until after I had failed to get it to work

Brian

• Message #265

It works - there were two problems I had to "overcome":
          * I did not know what I was doing
          * I did not bother to RTFM until after I had failed to get it to work

What did you point svn to? did you use a windows svn client or a command one unix style.

bk

• Message #233

Hi

Is the SourceForge? version being updated as I don't seem to see a lot of code update come down or is there somewhere on the new site we go to get a CVS or SVN update?

You can see the changes in NNTP.pm here:

http://getpopfile.org/log/branches/b0_22_2/engine/Proxy/NNTP.pm

It seems that NNTP.pm has not been changed much.

Naoki

• Message #235

I was merely curious if the sourceforge version was being kept up to date or where the code was kept on the new site. This was so I could keep my local copy current. I wasn't looking for changes to nntp.pm but have some I posted to PopFile? on SourceForge? a long time ago for handling of HEAD and BODY better and these never got applied but I use them and keep them up to date with any version of PopFile? I use. I was wanting to get Version 1 code but wasn't sure where to get it from since it didn't appear there were a lot of code changes going through SourceForge?. Once I had current code I would update my nntp.pm before using the new version so I don't loose my added functionality.

bk

• Message #246

Hi

Also because of the changes I made to the news proxy - NNTP.pm for better handling of HEAD and BODY logic like the TOP logic in POP.pm which never got adopted into the live version I have kept my own cvs copy of Popfile for tracking changes where I need to change my nntp.pm. Is the SourceForge? version being updated as I don't seem to see a lot of code update come down or is there somewhere on the new site we go to get a CVS or SVN update?

Have you signed the POPFile License Agreement and sent it to John?
    If you want us to merge your patch to POPFile, you have to sign the agreement. For more information, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/developersguide

I think that your patch is useful for the NNTP proxy users, so I'll
    look into your patch after you sign the agreement and send it to John.

Naoki

• Message #249

Gosh - I posted my first patch to sourceforge for NNTP.pm in 2004-04 and then the next came in 2006-08 and then another 2007-10 attempting to keep with current with the various PopFiles?. I vaguely remember John and I with a discussion of that and I'm sure I would have sent it to him - I think it was email in those days but you would have to check with him.

bk

• Message #259

Hi bk

Gosh - I posted my first patch to sourceforge for NNTP.pm in 2004-04 and then the next came in 2006-08 and then another 2007-10 attempting to keep with current with the various PopFiles?. I vaguely remember John and I with a discussion of that and I'm sure I would have sent it to him - I think it was email in those days but you would have to check with him.

John says he can't find the record.
        Can you resend him the signed agreement?

Naoki

• Message #261

Okay,

I've looked at http://getpopfile.org/docs/developersguide and found the License Agreement. I guess it is assumed that we all have scanners by now or I am missing something really obvious on how you would save this, sign it and email it back.

• Message #263

I've looked at http://getpopfile.org/docs/developersguide and found the License Agreement. I guess it is assumed that we all have scanners by now or I am missing something really obvious on how you would save this, sign it and email it back.

I think you don't need to sign the agreement by hand.

Please see the last line of the License Agreement page:

Please email to [email protected] with your name written Your Name and your signature written /your name/.

Naoki

• Message #268

I think you don't need to sign the agreement by hand.

Please see the last line of the License Agreement page:

Please email to [email protected] with your name written Your Name and your signature written /your name/.

Sorry, I saw that but wasn't familiar with what I was being told to do as far as the name and signature. I will email shortly just like that shows.

Bear in mind the change should definitily be looked at by someone with more PopFile? and Perl experience than I have.

thanks.

bk

• Message #273

Bear in mind the change should definitily be looked at by someone with more PopFile? and Perl experience than I have.

OK. I'm going to look into your changes.

Naoki

• Message #282

<snip>
                I will email shortly just like that shows.

Thanks. We've received the agreement.

And I've cleaned up your code and committed the changes to our svn repository.
                Please see Changesets [3311].
                They will be included in the next RC for POPFile v1.1.0.

Naoki

• Message #664

call me slow. I finally got around during a move to a new laptop to installing Popfile 1.1.0 but I'm not sure my changes made it as intended. I had marked a change for Bayes.pm allow it to return the HEAD, the BODY or both and this was then used by NNTP.pm to allow it to get just the header and then the body. This also required a change in the Pop3.pm. As I recall NNTP.pm used code similar to Pop3.pm when when it was returning just the Top and then the Body because without the special logic for Head vs Body or even the Top logic you would get duplicates in history. This is what I appear to be seeing on newsgroup spam is the duplicates and also on unclassified posts as well that come from newsgroups. It is only newsgroups that are affected by this leading me to believe it is the change we had for Head/Body in NNTP.pm

thanks

bk

• Message #695

Hi

POPFile caches articles downloaded by the HEAD command and it will return the cached article when your news reader sends the BODY command.
                    This means POPFile stores an single article in its history processing one HEAD/BODY command sequence.

Please note that you need to turn ON the 'head too' option to use this 'HEAD/BODY' feature.
                    For more information, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/OptionReference#nntp_proxy_options

Naoki

• Message #698

Hi

POPFile caches articles downloaded by the HEAD command and it will return the cached article when your news reader sends the BODY command.
                      This means POPFile stores an single article in its history processing one HEAD/BODY command sequence.

That is what it should do and my original change handled it such that the Classify_and_Modify would only return the HEAD or Body depending on what was requested. Seems my original change included the same for the Pop method of Top and Message (or whatever it was). Even with that the way the History uses the message ids now along with the has there is only one POP message in the history and I had it working that way for nntp.

Please note that you need to turn ON the 'head too' option to use this 'HEAD/BODY' feature.
                      For more information, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/OptionReference#nntp_proxy_options

I see the write up and I have my Popfile set for toptoo and headtoo. M my Popfile and my email/newsreader program are using Top and Head and I only get one message in the Popfile history for Pop messages but I appear to be getting multiples of nntp entries. But it appears to be in the spam folder more so than the inbox so this could be just the fact that spam is usually bulk.

I haven't had a chance to try to review the code that was used other than to note it is way different from the change I posted so I am not 100% sure that it is not working as expected just a gut feeling from what I am seeing.

If it is this hard for me to see if it is duplicating then I don't think I'm going to worry about it further unless I notice it real bad since as Naoki pointed in - they'll be gone in a couple days.

Thanks Naoki for the response and the pointer to the new write up.

bk

• Message #706

Hi

You can check whether POPFile has used the cached article by setting the logger_level to 1 or over.
                        For more information about the logger_level, please see:

http://getpopfile.org/docs/troubleshooting:preparelog

Here's an example of the log file. 'Printing message from cache' means POPFile has used the cache.

2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 207: Command: --BODY <[email protected]>--
                        2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 445: Printing message from cache
                        2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 305: 222 0 <[email protected]>[0d][0a]

Naoki

• Message #708

Here's an example of the log file. 'Printing message from cache' means POPFile has used the cache.

{{{
                          2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 207: Command: --BODY <[email protected]>--
                          2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 445: Printing message from cache
                          2009/2/6 21:31:33 1315: nntp: 305: 222 0 <[email protected]>[0d][0a]
                          }}}

Naoki

Hmmm thats not what I think I am seeing - logger_level is set to 1 but nntp log (some of it) looks like this:

2009/2/5 23:10:20 300: nntp: 305: GROUP comp.lang.c++[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:20 300: nntp: 305: 211 177326 105536 282861 comp.lang.c++[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:20 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282503[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:20 300: nntp: 305: 221 282503 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282503[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282504[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: 221 282504 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282504[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282505[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: 221 282505 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:22 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282505[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:22 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282506[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:22 300: nntp: 305: 221 282506 <[email protected]legroups.com> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:22 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282506[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:22 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282507[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: 221 282507 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282507[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282508[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: 423 Bad article number[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282509[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282510[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:23 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282511[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282512[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: 423 Bad article number[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282513[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: 221 282513 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282513[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282514[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:24 300: nntp: 305: 423 Bad article number[0d][0a]

but then I am seeing references to ARTICLE and BODY also. My version you only saw HEAD and BODY and whats with the missing article numbers and I see nothing that looks like it is coming from cache since they all have new message numbers. Here are some examples with BODY:

2009/2/5 23:10:28 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282550[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:28 300: nntp: 305: 221 282550 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282550[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282551[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: 423 Bad article number[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282552[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: 221 282552 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282552[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282503[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:29 300: nntp: 305: 222 282503 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:30 300: nntp: 305: BODY 282503[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:30 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282504[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:30 300: nntp: 305: 222 282504 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:30 300: nntp: 305: BODY 282504[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:30 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282505[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:31 300: nntp: 305: 222 282505 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:31 300: nntp: 305: BODY 282505[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:31 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282506[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:31 300: nntp: 305: 222 282506 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:31 300: nntp: 305: BODY 282506[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:32 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282507[0d][0a]
                          2009/2/5 23:10:32 300: nntp: 305: 222 282507 <[email protected]> article[0d][0a]

I see nothing in the log about printing from cache so I will try logger_level of 2.

Thanks

bk

• Message #710

Hi

2009/2/5 23:10:20 300: nntp: 305: ARTICLE 282503[0d][0a]

2009/2/5 23:10:21 300: nntp: 305: HEAD 282503[0d][0a]

The current version of POPFile does not cache the articles which received specifying the message number only.
                            The message number is not unique between different groups, so I decided POPFile not ought to cache these articles.

To cache these articles, I've written a new code to check the 'unique' message_id.
                            The new NNTP.pm will be included the next version POPFile and you can now download the new NNTP.pm from here:

http://getpopfile.org/browser/branches/b0_22_2/engine/Proxy/NNTP.pm?rev=3402
                            (Click the 'Original Format' link at the bottom of the page.)

I hope the new code solves your problem.

Naoki

• Message #715

new version seems to work just fine. No duplicates and seems to work just like my original change did.

Nice job

Thank you Naoki

Bk

• Message #297

They will be included in the next RC for POPFile v1.1.0.

RC1 has been released:

http://getpopfile.org/discussion/3/86

Naoki