Bleeding Edge - Source Code → POPFile 1.1.1 RC1 available

POPFile 1.1.1 RC1 available

The next release (1.1.1) will include several improvements.

The first release candidate (RC1) is now available for testing in a cross platform version, a Windows version and a Mac OS X version.

The Windows version includes an updated minimal Perl and some new programs built using the latest PDK. It is possible that some features may not work properly on Windows 9x, Millennium or NT because the system requirements for Perl and the PDK now say "Windows 2000 or later".

The POPFile core team

Edit: Mac OS X download link updated to match the revised link on the homepage

• Message #844

Hi

Anyone tested RC1?

I've been testing RC1 on Windows XP SP3 (Windows version) and Mac OS X 10.5.7 (Mac version) and it looks good.
    I've also installed RC1 on Windows 7 RC on VirtualBox? without problems.

And in Japanese forum two Mac users have reported that RC1 works without problems.

Naoki

• Message #846

Installed with no problems on WinXP Pro and running fine so far.

Bill

• Message #862

1.1.1 RC2 is now available.

Brian

Forgot to give a link: POPFile 1.1.1 RC2 now available

• Message #867

I just installed RC2 on WinXP Pro.

I use the Comodo firewall and have to check an OK box every time a new executable wants to run. The bit of the POPFile installer that shuts down a running instance of PF seems to have a very short timeout, not long enough for me to tell Comodo that it's OK to run. As a result the installer gives me the message that I must shut down PF manually. Could this timeout be increased a little?

One other odd thing happened after the install: I let the installer restart PF for me, and the History screen came up in my browser with no skin. I also got not found messages on the Configuration and other screens. Forced reload didn't help; I had to shut down PF and restart, and everything then came up as normal.

Otherwise running fine.

Bill

• Message #868

Could this timeout be increased a little?

How much more would you like? An extra 5 seconds or 10 seconds or twice the current delay or something else?

I'll have to look at the code again as I cannot remember how the delay is implemented. If I remember correctly the delay is handled by a third-party plugin which did not seem to take much notice of the setting I supplied. That plugin has been updated since then (and there is another one that I might be able to use instead) so it may well be possible to get more than just the default delay here.

after the install: I let the installer restart PF for me, and the History screen came up in my browser with no skin. I also got not found messages on the Configuration and other screens.

This may be because the installer tried to display the UI before POPFile was really ready. The installer used to wait until it was sure that POPFile was ready to display the UI. For a while there was a Perl problem that caused POPFile to lock up on some systems and this in turn completely locked up the installer so I had to change the code to a simple delay. Now that those Perl problems have been resolved, one of the things on my "To Do" list is putting back the code that waits until POPFile is able to display the UI.

Brian

• Message #869

Could this timeout be increased a little?

How much more would you like? An extra 5 seconds or 10 seconds or twice the current delay or something else?

Thanks, Brian; I think 20 seconds should be enough time.

Now that those Perl problems have been resolved, one of the things on my "To Do" list is putting back the code that waits until POPFile is able to display the UI.

That would probably help! Oddly, I don't think this happened when I installed RC1 a few days ago.

In August it will be three years since I last reset the stats. Since then I have:

Messages classified: 961,651
          Classification errors: 1,022
          Accuracy: 99.89%

Pretty good performance! 46.45% of the messages were classified as spam, over 440,000 of them.

Bill

• Message #874

I think 20 seconds should be enough time.

The next release candidate will use different code to shutdown POPFile. I am not sure if the new code will make any difference so I have made a couple of small test programs if you'd like to help test the new code.

These programs simply try to shutdown POPFile, using more or less the same method as the main installer. One uses a 10 second timeout and the other uses 20 seconds. You can run these from any folder. You need to supply the UI port number on the command-line, e.g. stop_pf_10.exe 8080 if you are using the default port.

http://www.sugelan.co.uk/popfile/download/beta/stop_demo_1.zip (78.7 KB file)

one of the things on my "To Do" list is putting back the code that waits until POPFile is able to display the UI.

The next release candidate will wait until POPFile is ready to display the UI before it offers the option to show the UI.

Brian

• Message #879

I was able to do it using the ten second delay, but only because I was expecting the firewall to pop up.

Twenty seconds gave me more time to react, and to check the two boxes needed to allow the shutdown program to run.

Bill

• Message #880

Twenty seconds gave me more time to react

Thanks for taking the time to run those tests Bill.

The next release candidate will use a 20 second timeout when shutting down POPFile.

Brian