Bleeding Edge - Source Code → Beta version of POPFile Portable for Windows

Beta version of POPFile Portable for Windows

POPFile Portable is a version of POPFile that runs directly from your USB thumbdrive, portable hard drive or any other portable media. You can plug it right into any Windows computer and use it just like you would on your own computer. It is a repackaged version of POPFile designed with portability in mind, so it has the same great features as POPFile, but there’s nothing to install when you want to use it on a different computer.

The first beta version is now available for testing. See the POPFile Portable page for further details.

There are still some features to be added to this version, such as monitoring database upgrades.

Brian

• Message #931

Hi Brian,

The beta version of POPFile Portable looks good on Windows XP SP3 (Home Edition).

BTW, POPFilePortable.exe continues to run while POPFile is working.
    This exe is essential to run POPFile, and what is its function?
    Even if I force the exe to stop, POPFile keeps running without problems.

Naoki

• Message #932

Thanks for testing the portable version, Naoki.

POPFilePortable.exe is the launcher for the portable version of POPFile. The launcher performs the following tasks:

(1) It ensures only one copy of the portable version can be started.

(2) It replaces runpopfile.exe, popfile.exe and runsqlite.exe since these are not compatible with the requirements for the portable version of POPFile.

(3) It has options to display the Maintenance Menu and run several utilities (e.g. the database integrity check).

(4) When the portable version is run on a Win9x system for the first time it runs the lfnfixer.exe program to fix lots of file and and folder names to avoid Perl runtime errors.

I found that I had to do this because the portable version would not run on my Win9x system if I moved my flash drive there after running the installer on my Vista system.

When the installer is run on an NTFS-based system any lowercase names that fit into the 8.3 format get saved as uppercase only. This means the names appear only as uppercase when the flash drive is connected to a Win9x system. So, for example, POPFile\lib\base.pm will appear only as POPFile\LIB\BASE.PM on Win9x systems. This problem stops POPFile from running (weird Perl runtime errors are generated when POPFile tries to start).

(There is no problem with "POPFile" because although it fits the 8.3 format it uses a mixture of upper and lower case.)

This problem does not happen if the portable installer is run on a Win9x system because the SFN and LFN format names are created for these files, e.g. POPFile\lib\base.pm will exist as well as the POPFile\LIB\BASE.PM alternative.

(5) It sets up temporary environment variables for the portable version (POPFILE_ROOT, POPFILE_USER, ITAIJIDICTPATH, KANWADICTPATH and MECABRC). This stops the portable version from picking up anything from an existing POPFile installation on the host computer.

(6) It tries to make config_piddir in popfile.cfg point to the users TEMP folder (to avoid writing to the "removable" device every few seconds).

(7) It keeps running until POPFile shuts down. This lets the POPFilePortable installer and the MeCab Parser installer check if the portable version is still running before they start installing stuff. The PortableApps.com Specification only supports testing one file to determine if the portable application is running so I chose to keep POPFilePortable.exe running until POPFile is shut down.

(8) The PortableApps.com Specification does not support passing command-line parameters to the launcher so I had to create POPFilePortableMenu.exe to pass the /menu option to the launcher.

I'm getting ready for a beta 2 release. At the moment the main thing on my "To Do" list is adding the code to monitor a database upgrade. Since these upgrades can take 30 minutes or even longer I want to display some progress messages to the user.

Brian

• Message #933

Thank you for quick response, Brian.

(7) It keeps running until POPFile shuts down. This lets the POPFilePortable installer and the MeCab Parser installer check if the portable version is still running before they start installing stuff. The PortableApps.com Specification only supports testing one file to determine if the portable application is running so I chose to keep POPFilePortable.exe running until POPFile is shut down.

I really wanted to know this part.
        OK, now I know why POPFilePortable.exe keeps running. Thanks.
        The POPFilePortable.exe application uses about 9MB of memory. I thought this may be considerable for some users

I'm getting ready for a beta 2 release. At the moment the main thing on my "To Do" list is adding the code to monitor a database upgrade. Since these upgrades can take 30 minutes or even longer I want to display some progress messages to the user.

I see.
        Are you thinking to release the official version of POPFile Portable and POPFile (non-portable version) v1.1.1 at a time?

Naoki

• Message #934

The POPFilePortable.exe application uses about 9MB of memory. I thought this may be considerable for some users.

Memory usage is not something I have looked at yet. I've been concentrating on modifying things to avoid using the registry etc. POPFilePortable.exe could be reduced to a simple skeleton that simply calls other programs and responds to their outputs; this should reduce the memory usage.

Are you thinking to release the official version of POPFile Portable and POPFile (non-portable version) v1.1.1 at a time?

That would be nice ... but I don't think it will happen. I think the portable version will appear soon after the main release.

I see you have been making some changes recently. Is it time for another RC ?

Brian

• Message #935

Memory usage is not something I have looked at yet. I've been concentrating on modifying things to avoid using the registry etc. POPFilePortable.exe could be reduced to a simple skeleton that simply calls other programs and responds to their outputs; this should reduce the memory usage.

That sounds good.

That would be nice ... but I don't think it will happen. I think the portable version will appear soon after the main release.

OK.

I see you have been making some changes recently. Is it time for another RC ?

Does anyone have TODO for v1.1.1?
            If there's no problem with RC5, let's release RC5 as the final RC for v1.1.1.

Naoki

• Message #937

1.1.1 RC6 is now available; see the Download links in this forum or the Homepage

Brian