Bleeding Edge - Source Code → POPFile 1.1.1 RC6 now available

POPFile 1.1.1 RC6 now available

The next release (1.1.1) will include several improvements.

A new release candidate (RC6) is now available for testing in a cross platform version, a Windows version and a Mac OS X version(for Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.5.x. **Note** Currently the Mac OS X version is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)). This should be the last candidate before 1.1.1 is released.

The Windows version includes an updated minimal Perl and some new programs built using the latest PDK. It is possible that some features may not work properly on Windows 9x, Millennium or NT because the system requirements for Perl and the PDK now say "Windows 2000 or later".

The POPFile Core Team
(Brian, Joseph, Manni and Naoki)

Edit: Updated to link to Windows installer RC6a which fixes a bug found when a very old installation is upgraded.

Edit: Currently the Mac OS X installer is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

• Message #945

Hi Brian,

A Japanese user has reported that POPFile v1.1.1 RC4 and later does not work on Windows 2k and XP.
    I asked him to try the Message Capture utility to get error log and he posted it at the Japanese forum:

POPFile Message Capture Utility v0.1.15

ITAIJIDICTPATH = C:\POPFile\kakasi\share\kakasi\itaijidict
    KANWADICTPATH = C:\POPFile\kakasi\share\kakasi\kanwadict

POPFILE_ROOT = C:\POPFile
    POPFILE_USER = C:\POPFile
    Using 'popfileif.exe' to run POPFile

(report started 19-Aug-2009 @ 02:37:21)

POPFile Engine loading
    <snip>
    Can't locate auto/Win32/API/LoadLibrary.al in @INC (@INC contains: C:\POPFile C:/POPFile/lib .) at C:\POPFile/Win32/API.pm line 65

(You can see the whole log at: http://getpopfile.org/discussion/4/221#943)

The error occurs in Win32/API.pm which is not included in the current
    veresion of POPFile.
    It seems that the file was included in the very old version of POPFile:

http://getpopfile.org/browser/branches/b0_22_2/windows/installer-SecPOPFile-func.nsh#L177

These files and folders should have been deleted in the past upgrade
    process, but for some reason they are still there.

The current version of POPFile installs the Win32::API module in
    'lib' folder but POPFile uses the old files instead of the new module.

I've written a patch to delete these redundant files anyway:

Index: installer-SecPOPFile-func.nsh
    ===================================================================
    --- installer-SecPOPFile-func.nsh	(revision 3601)
    +++ installer-SecPOPFile-func.nsh	(working copy)
    @@ -150,7 +150,7 @@
       ; If the minimal Perl folder used by 0.21.0 or later exists and has some Perl files in it,
       ; assume there are no pre-0.21.0 minimal Perl files to be moved out of the way.

-  IfFileExists "$G_MPLIBDIR\*.pm" exit
    +  IfFileExists "$G_MPLIBDIR\*.pm" delete_redundant_mp

CreateDirectory "$G_MPLIBDIR"

@@ -174,6 +174,7 @@
       !insertmacro PFI_MinPerlMove "Text"
       !insertmacro PFI_MinPerlMove "warnings"

+delete_redundant_mp:
       ; Delete redundant minimal Perl files from earlier installations

IfFileExists "$G_ROOTDIR\Win32\*.*" 0 exit

Naoki

• Message #950

It seems that the file was included in the very old version of POPFile:

http://getpopfile.org/browser/branches/b0_22_2/windows/installer-SecPOPFile-func.nsh#L177

That code was added on 4 July 2004! The minimal Perl used to be mixed up with the POPFile code so I moved it all (except for perl.exe, perl58.dll and wperl.exe) into a new folder called 'lib'.

I've written a patch to delete these redundant files anyway

Thanks for the patch, Naoki. I had some trouble trying to use it because patch.exe was not installed on my Vista system and after installing it Vista kept generating UAC prompts until I created a manifest file for patch.exe. The patch program did not seem to like the format of your patch so I'll just modify the file by hand (luckily the changes are very small).

I'll make an RC6a for Windows tomorrow. I will also move all of the minimal Perl tasks in my "To Do" list up a bit; it is time I took another look at this code.

Brian

• Message #951

I'll make an RC6a for Windows tomorrow.

Windows installer RC6a is now available. I've updated the download links on the homepage and in the first message in this topic.

Brian

• Message #953

Brian,

Thanks.
          If no other problem is found in RC6/RC6a until the end of this month, let's release it as the official stable version.

Naoki

• Message #963

If no other problem is found in RC6/RC6a until the end of this month, let's release it as the official stable version.

I've found that the current Mac OS X installer is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) which has been released today.

I've built another installer for Mac OS X 10.6:

http://getpopfile.org/downloads/POPFile-1.1.1RC6-sl-macosx.dmg.gz

It is built and tested on Mac OS X 10.6 / MacBook? 13inch (uni-body).

Naoki

• Message #975

The Snow Leopard version is working flawlessly on my MacBook? and a Japanese user has reported that it works well on his machine.

Now, it's time to release the official stable version?
              Or, we should release another (the last?) release candidate which includes my latest minor changes (added minor error checking code in Bayes.pm)?

Naoki

• Message #976

Are there now two Mac OS X installers: one for Snow Leopard and one for earlier versions? If so, we need to mention this in the release notes.

If we're going to update the release notes we may as well use the latest version of Bayes.pm and have an RC7 then the real release after that.

Brian

• Message #977

Are there now two Mac OS X installers: one for Snow Leopard and one for earlier versions? If so, we need to mention this in the release notes.

Yes.
                  The Perl has been updated to version 5.10.0 on Snow Leopard.
                  So the Perl modules are binary incompatible with the former versions.

If we're going to update the release notes we may as well use the latest version of Bayes.pm and have an RC7 then the real release after that.

OK. I'll update the release notes.

Naoki