Documentation Problems → How it works

How it works

Hi. I'm a newbie and getting on well with POPFile. I thought it would be helpful to comment on the documentation.

Initially it took me a while to understand what POPFile was trying to do. I was confused by the first line on the homepage that says ...

POPFile automatically sorts your email messages and fights spam.

Well, not really. It automatically labels your messages, then you can set up some filters in your email program to do the filing.

I think this could be clarified. Perhaps it could say something like this ...

POPFile is a handy tool to fight spam and organise your inbox.

It works alongside your email program to label incoming messages 
with categories that you have defined. Labels can go in the 
subject line or in special tags in the header. You can then use 
filters in your email program to file or delete the messages as 
you wish.

Also something similar could go in the FAQ under "How does POPFile work?".

Hope this helps

• Message #911

Well, not really. It automatically labels your messages, then you can set up some filters in your email program to do the filing.

That applies to POPFile's default POP3 mode. However there is an optional IMAP module and this works by moving messages between folders on the IMAP server in order to classify them.

The "Manual" has this at the start of its home page:

POPFile is an automatic mail classification tool. Once properly set up and trained, it will scan all email as it arrives and classify it based on your training. You can give it a simple job, like separating out junk e-mail, or a complicated one-like filing mail into a dozen folders. Think of it as a personal assistant for your inbox.

This is still not completely accurate though as it still refers to filing mail into folders.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest some alternative text. Sometimes it can be hard for us to see things from the users' point of view, so your feedback is welcomed.

The POPFile Core Team is quite small so we've not been able to spend much time on the documentation recently. Perhaps something can be done once POPFile 1.1.1 is released?

Brian