Documentation Problems → How to move POPfile data to a different file location

How to move POPfile data to a different file location

I have tried a couple of times to move my POPfile data from one file location to another.
It seems my last try was succesful (knock on wood)

It wasn't that easy, I had to scan the registry for information about POPfile and edit some 4-5 entries. (In addition to copying all the Popfile data to a new, more logical, location). (Yes, I'm on the Windows version, and I have no idea at all, how this would be done on other platforms.)

1. Is there a better way to achieve this?
2. Even if it's not easy to develop a migration tool, it would still be good to have a generic description on how to move your Popfile database to a different location.

Best regards,
Tobi

• Message #1160

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: The number of steps needed depends upon the version of POPFile and the operating system you are using.

Early versions of POPFile stored the user data in the same folder as the POPFile program files (e.g. C:\Program Files\POPFile) but since the 0.21.0 release (March 2004) the default for new installations has been to store the POPFile User Data in the user's application data area (e.g. in Vista my POPFile data was stored in C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Roaming\POPFile).

I had to scan the registry for information about POPfile and edit some 4-5 entries.

There was no need to do this. The Windows version of POPFile includes a utility that can update the registry and the environment variables for you; there is also a diagnostic utility that can be used to check these settings and report any problems. The Windows installer creates some Start Menu shortcuts to the diagnostic utility.

Even if it's not easy to develop a migration tool

Some work has been done on a Windows version of a utility which could have helped you: http://www.sugelan.co.uk/popfile/databru.html

it would still be good to have a generic description on how to move your Popfile database to a different location

Did you try looking for help in the POPFile Manual?

Brian

• Message #1161

Thanks a lot!

Did you try looking for help in the POPFile Manual?

Ough. No, didn't spot that until you pointed me to it now.
      On the other hand, I feel so technically advanced, having successfully moved these things myself! :)

Oh, and Happy New Year!!!

Best regards,
      Tobi