Documentation Problems → TWO POP3 ports

TWO POP3 ports

Hello POPFile

I am confronted with a new situation for which I haven't found a solution in the forums:

I get mail from two servers into my Thunderbird, one uses POP3 listen port 110, and the other POP3 listen port 995.

Thus my question: how can I get POPFile to manage two POP3 ports at the same time, resp. how do I to configure POPFile to do it?

Please note that I am a simple amateur in this field.

Thank you for your help!

• Message #1723

I get mail from two servers into my Thunderbird, one uses POP3 listen port 110, and the other POP3 listen port 995

Port 110 is used for normal POP3 mail and port 995 is used for POP3 mail servers that require an SSL connection. POPFile can handle both types of connection.

The POPFile wiki has a page that explains how to configure Thunderbird to make it use POPFile to classify your POP3 mail: Mozilla / Netscape / Thunderbird Configuration

To make POPFile classify your incoming POP3 mail some small changes have to be made to the account settings in Thunderbird.

It is easier to start with the account that uses port 110 as fewer changes need to be made.

I'll use 'pop.example.com' as the POP3 mail server name and 'myusername' as the User Name for the mail account.

(1) POP3 mail using port 110

(1a) Thunderbird settings for POP3 Account using port 110 without POPFile

Server Name          : pop.example.com     Port: 110
    User Name            : myusername
    Connection Security  : None
    Authentication method: "Password, transmitted insecurely" or perhaps simply blank

(1b) Thunderbird settings for POP3 Account using port 110 with POPFile classifying POP3 mail

Server Name          : 127.0.0.1           Port: 110
    User Name            : pop.example.com:myusername
    Authentication method: "Password, transmitted insecurely" or perhaps simply blank

Note: Only the "Server Name" and "User Name" settings get changed in Thunderbird for this account

(2) POP3 mail using port 995

The account that uses port 995 probably uses SSL which means more than just the 'Server Name' and 'User Name' settings in Thunderbird must be changed to let POPFile classify incoming POP3 mail for this account.

(2a) Thunderbird settings for POP3 Account using port 995 and SSL without POPFile

Server Name          : pop.example.com     Port: 995
    User Name            : myusername
    Connection Security  : SSL/TLS
    Authentication method: Encrypted password

(2b) Thunderbird settings for POP3 Account using port 995 and SSL with POPFile classifying POP3 mail

Server Name          : 127.0.0.1           Port: 110
    User Name            : pop.example.com:myusername:ssl
    Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely

Note: The "Server Name", "Port", "User Name", "Connection Security" and "Authentication method" settings in Thunderbird all need to be changed for this account

Adding ':ssl' at the end of the 'User Name' in Thunderbird tells POPFile to (1) use SSL and (2) connect to port 995 on the mail server. Nothing else in POPFile's configuration settings needs to be changed when using SSL for a POP3 mail server.

If you are not sure how to make these changes, ask for more help before making any changes to Thunderbird.

• Message #1724

Hello Brian

and many thanks for your immediate and very informative reply to my question.

In fact, I had already tested your indications, basing on one of your earlier response to someone who wanted to connect to gmail (see http://getpopfile.org/discussion/1/416).
      But I tried it again, twice, basing on your reply to me.

Unfortunately, the problem appears to be different, when two different ports (i.e. 110 and 995) have to be listened to: Thus I get the error message

"Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded: On Windows, SSL support

cannot be used with concurrent POP3 connections".

each time (here Win7 professional, 64bits, SP1 - but this is probably irrelevant in the present context).

So, I'm really sorry to have to ask you for your help, despite the fact that the problem seems to originate from Windows and/or possibly Thunderbird, and certainly not from POPFile (otherwise I'll give up gmail, and certainly not POPFile).

Thank you for your pains anyway, and best regards - Etienne.

• Message #1725

"Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded: On Windows, SSL support cannot be used with concurrent POP3 connections".

This error message explains what is going wrong. POPFile's built-in SSL support only works on Windows systems when concurrent POP3 connections are disabled in POPFile.

On the CONFIGURATION page in the "POPFile User Interface" click the "Change to No" button next to the "Allow concurrent POP3 connections" label (in the "POP3" section) then shutdown POPFile and restart POPFile.

This should fix the problem.

With concurrent POP3 connections disabled (the default setting) the POPFile User Interface will not respond while POPFile is handling email requests from Thunderbird.

Since Thunderbird only processes one account at a time, disabling concurrent POP3 connections should not cause any delays as far as Thunderbird is concerned.

Brian

• Message #1727

It works, Brian, it works!!!

(to be quite honest, I confess that this time I thought that your knowledge would be exceeded... But now, as a [retired] neuropsychologist, I confess that I would like to catch a glimpse of your incredible brain).

So, thank you a thousand times!

Etienne.