Documentation Problems → How do I duplicate a fully configured POPFile on another machine?

How do I duplicate a fully configured POPFile on another machine?

The FAQ says copy the POPFile folder to the new machine, then do an install. This implies there is a single folder, but doesn't indicate where it is. I'm on windows, and assumed that the folder to copy was under "Program Files." In fact, it appears that some really important configuration info is sitting under "Documents and Settings/name/Application Data/Popfile."

So, there are two POPFile folders to copy (or maybe only the one under "Documents and Settings" is important). In any case, just copying the POPFile directory under "Program Files" wasn't enough. After completely removing everything from my first attempt, then copying both POPFile directories, and answering "yes" during the install to upgrade? for both directories, I was successful.

• Message #192

The FAQ says copy the POPFile folder to the new machine, then do an install. This implies there is a single folder, but doesn't indicate where it is.

That is a very old FAQ page. POPFile has changed a lot since then and one of those changes split POPFile into two parts. The How can I backup or restore POPFile? page is more up-to-date and is linked to from the FAQ and the HOWTOs pages. However this page is still incomplete, as mentioned in another topic.

it appears that some really important configuration info is sitting under "Documents and Settings/name/Application Data/Popfile."

In fact that is the most important information needed to copy an installation.

As you may be aware, the POPFile project is in the process of migrating to this server. One of the tasks we have to do is sort out the documentation: some information appears in more than one place in the wiki and this makes it easy to miss a page when doing updates. This is why we added the message at the foot of every wiki page.

We're not a big project so it'll take time to sort things out.

Brian